General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How can i remove a dent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:54 PM
HCF Member
Default How can i remove a dent?

I have a pretty ugly dent in my hood.. its sort of small.. about the size of my fist.. but its right in the front of my car so i want to get rid of it.
Here's a pic of it:

Name:  mms_picture2.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  50.7 KB

I guess the first week the original owner had this car(back in 2000 when it was BRAND new) he was parked in a parking lot and a jeep backed into the space infront of him. the tire on the back of the jeep hit the hood of my car. thats how i got my dent.

Its pretty cool that the paint isnt cracked or anything.. so if i can just figure out how to pop it out, i'll be good to go.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:28 AM

I don't know that paintless dent repair can fix that one. It's in a tough spot. You could try the old temperature change trick. Requires a hot hood (hair dryer, carefully applied heat gun, or other form of heating the hood) and some canned air (turned upside down so the liquid cold stuff sprays). The resulting sudden coldness causes the metal to contract, POSSIBLY making the dent pop itself out.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:05 AM

I have a smaller dent in almost the same spot. The guy who will be fixing/painting my car says that it can be popped out, or something like that. When I talk to him next weekend, I will ask him what he will do to fix it and let you know.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
I have a smaller dent in almost the same spot. The guy who will be fixing/painting my car says that it can be popped out, or something like that. When I talk to him next weekend, I will ask him what he will do to fix it and let you know.
alright. thanks.
the guy i bought it from said that his mechanic told him it could be popped out, but it would require drilling a hole or two in the layer of metal beneath it(because the hood is two layers, i think..) and pushing something up on it to pop it out.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

just heat it up with a hair dryer for a few minutes untill its nice and hot and then hold canned air upside down and spray it on there till it ices over.. it will pop out.. when you hold the canned air upside down, it releases co2 that is like -30 degrees or something like that... so it will expand and contract..
(warning: Heat guns are ok to use but dont use them too long or hold them too close cause it can f with your paint.. Source: GoOgLeS!)

Old 03-06-2010, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by supersize
just heat it up with a hair dryer for a few minutes untill its nice and hot and then hold canned air upside down and spray it on there till it ices over.. it will pop out.. when you hold the canned air upside down, it releases co2 that is like -30 degrees or something like that... so it will expand and contract..
(warning: Heat guns are ok to use but dont use them too long or hold them too close cause it can f with your paint.. Source: GoOgLeS!)
this just sounds too easy.. lol.
i'll have to give it a shot.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot
Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 AM
HCF Member

crazy stuff. i watched a few with the hair dryer too..
some work.. some dont.
the big dents tend to pop out easily.. the small ones usually dont pop out.
i'm afraid that mine might not.. but i'm still gonna give it a shot. for like.. 15-20 bucks i can pick up a can of air and a cheap hair dryer.. or i can just have my girlfriend bring hers over. lol.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

just goto the dollar store and get keyboard cleaner, and borrow a hair dryer lol.. or you can just buy one at walmart and take it back when ur done with it

Old 03-06-2010, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by supersize
just goto the dollar store and get keyboard cleaner, and borrow a hair dryer lol.. or you can just buy one at walmart and take it back when ur done with it
im a supervisor at Kmart. soo i'll just pick it all up there.. 10% discount. and our air is like..2 for 3 bucks i think. i'll try to record a video for you guys and put it up... if it works...

Quick Reply: How can i remove a dent?