General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How can i remove front grill without removing bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Exclamation How can i remove front grill without removing bumper?

Hello there i want to remove the "H" honda badge from the front grill from my 98 civic hatch but to do that i need to remove the grill, i tried to remove the bumper first but the 2 bolts underneath are so corroded and rusted so i cant remove them. The honda badge is held on by two screws that i cant get to without removing anything so i was wondering if its possible to remove the grill without taking off the front bumper?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 AM

From what I remember, the OEM grill is screwed into the OEM bumper on the bottom and clipped into the radiator support on the top. The bumper must come off for this I think. I may be wrong, I haven't had the grilled screwed into the bumper for years and years.

What bolts on the bottom are corroded? I don't even have any bolts on the bottom of my bumper . Just the two screws in the wheel wells and the clips on the sides of the grill.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
From what I remember, the OEM grill is screwed into the OEM bumper on the bottom and clipped into the radiator support on the top. The bumper must come off for this I think. I may be wrong, I haven't had the grilled screwed into the bumper for years and years.

What bolts on the bottom are corroded? I don't even have any bolts on the bottom of my bumper . Just the two screws in the wheel wells and the clips on the sides of the grill.
On my car, theres the 2 screws in the wheel wells, the 2 bolts under the bumper and 6 or 7 screws on top of the grill. I just cannot get the bolt off from under the car its the only thing stopping me from removing the bumper. Thanks for the reply anyay.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 AM
HCF Member

I have the same problem (except I only have one frozen bolt). In the past, I've found that if I unbolt the rest of the bumper, the plastic at the bottom is flexible enough that I can pop off the cover, and pivot it down allowing me good access to things like the grille and headlights.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM

I would just cut the bolt, or cut the plastic bumper to free it from the bolts. Well, I would do that since my bumper if off pretty much every weekend. If you never plan on getting in there again, I would imagine ChristianL's idea would be best.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:36 PM

I actually managed to remove the H honda emblem by using a very small screw driver and i put my hand through the front of the bumper, it looked really bad with it off so i have decided to buy a type r style black grill that will look better on my car along with the black hood, alloys and tinted tailights.