General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

how can i tell if my starter is going bad???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:40 AM
HCF Member
Default how can i tell if my starter is going bad???

my car wouldnt start this morning and we have been trying to figure out why...the car is turning over and the fuel pump is working so i think maybe the starter isnt catching up and starting.Is there anyway to tell for sure before i go out and buy a new one for nothing????

Old 11-24-2007, 11:43 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: how can i tell if my starter is going bad???

if it turns over it's not your starter, now if you mean you can here the starter spinning without turning the engine over then the selinoid is more than likely bad.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:54 AM
HCF Member

well my dad said that the engine is turning over its just not starting.....we hooked it up to his truck but that never worked either,it was turning over really fast but it just wont start....this is on an automatic by the way.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:20 PM
HCF Member

well i just messed with the timing on the distro cap and it felt like it was almost about to start so i dont know if that had that much to do with it or not but im still running out of ideas so i dont know.

I think this could be a starter problem.....i hope the belt didnt slip.
Maybe now i think it might have too much fuel in it cause it sounded like it wanted to go once i pushed the petal down all the way and tried to start it up.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

check your distributor cap.....
that was the problem on my 94 when i tried to start up the replacement motor.... stupid disctibutor cap and button where all carboned up. replaced them and let the motor dry out overnight and it started right up.... every now and then it SOUNDED like it wanted to fire up and even ran for abit.... preaty cheap and quick to replace the cap and button.... just be sure ya dont loose that spring on the cap...

its the quickest thing to check.....

Old 11-24-2007, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

well it was too much gas getting into the engine...i need to run some injector cleaner through it tomm.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if the motor is flooding then id say its the distributor cap coroded up....
check the cap and if its corroded up swap it out and wait till tomorow to try and start it up so that extra fuel in the motor can evaporate..... or if your in a hurry take out all the plugs for about an hour or so....

Old 11-24-2007, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

well we sprayed them down with brake cleaner to get them dry faster...lol....by yeah we are gonna leave it till in the morning and then try it and see how it does.Ill say something to my dad about the distro cap in the morning and check that out too......thanks addict.....nice UFC cut above the eye you got going on....lol

Old 11-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

LMFAO yep.... funny part was i was watching UFC before i busted my face open. LMFAO

but if i was you id go out and check that distributor cap now..... its only like 3 philip screws. unscrew them and look at the contact points on the inside to see if they are coroded up.... would realy suck to wait... try starting the car and then FLOODING IT AGAIN.... and then checking the cap.LOL
just an idea.......

o ya if you dont have the battery on the charger ya might want to do that to. cause all that grinding could have the battery low now also...

Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I am not sure what year and model Civic that you have.

I assume that the CEL is not ON. If this assumption is correct, then you should also consider that (in addition to the distributor, rotor, or timing), the plug wires, coil, or ignition control module (ICM) may be faulty (see picture for 98-00 Civics). For the latter Civics, also check whether fuse #9 in the under-dash fuse/relay box is blown.

If the CEL is ON, then you should retrieve the code as described here:

http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/4D2DB975F0B647809FF8362BD681550C.jpg[/IMG]