General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How do ppl miss 2nd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How do ppl miss 2nd gear?

yea, its also really helpful to leave the car in gear while going downhill as long as the RPMs arent too high. 3000 is good. becuase your tires are spinning the motor instead of the motor spinning the tires so you get better gas mileage than being in neutral

Old 03-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Ben

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

basically they suck at driving and make up an excuse.
Not true, i've driven a stick for years and sometimes it just happeneds. If someone has been racing a few races the clutch could be hot, or sometimes you just don't get a clean shift straight down, which is really easy to do if you don't have a short shifter.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:43 PM

downshifting on the streets shouldnt really be needed unless u really need to stop in a hurry and u dont have abs and dont want to lock ur brakes up. it puts a good deal of stress on the engine if u dont do it properly. brakes arecheaper and easierto replace than an engine...if u wana do it the right way, u need to learn a littleheel-toe. brake slightly with toes and bring rev up with heel,then down shift once the rpms have matched. takes some time knowing when exactly to shift and how much pressure to apply but its not that difficult to do.
ok. 1st off i never had a tac. on my cars this is the 1st. my old civic did nothave one and it was just a 93. so i rdly dont know much about what to do at what rpms. i know how to shift and ****. i drove sticks all my life, just no tac. the new si is lil diff. got a tac and 6 speeds. what do u mean about matching rpms when downshifting? i dont know what number to match.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:56 PM
HCF Member

well you know when your going a certain speed in a certain gear? you tap the gas pedal to make it line up to those rpms, so when you downshift its really smooth and doesnt jolt you forward

Old 03-21-2007, 12:07 AM
HCF Member

downshifting on the streets shouldnt really be needed unless u really need to stop in a hurry and u dont have abs and dont want to lock ur brakes up. it puts a good deal of stress on the engine if u dont do it properly. brakes arecheaper and easierto replace than an engine...if u wana do it the right way, u need to learn a littleheel-toe. brake slightly with toes and bring rev up with heel,then down shift once the rpms have matched. takes some time knowing when exactly to shift and how much pressure to apply but its not that difficult to do.

i still down shift no matter wut ...its just a habit and its alot funner and sounds kool lol

Old 03-21-2007, 12:10 AM
HCF Member

How does it smell?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:15 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

How does it smell?
lol

Old 03-21-2007, 12:15 AM
HCF Member

but i do it the right way and not let go of the clutch all quick lol i do it all by sound i dont have to look at the rpms or match it up.....im just kool like that lol

Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: blackmetal619

well you know when your going a certain speed in a certain gear? you tap the gas pedal to make it line up to those rpms, so when you downshift its really smooth and doesnt jolt you forward

ahh. so say if i was in 5th gear drop down to 50mph b4 i downshift?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

How does it smell?
it dosnt. ....if it does then u dont know how to down shiftand ur burning the clutch

Quick Reply: How do ppl miss 2nd gear?