General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How do ppl miss 2nd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:24 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: How do ppl miss 2nd gear?

ok if i was in 5th going about 70 id slow down to about 55-60 ish and downshift into 4th slow dont to about 40 down shift in to third and so on but if your downshifting to slow down and stop you like off the gas and keep ur gas foot gentle on the break so just in case u do mess up u can slow down and not over rev it

Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 AM
HCF Member

thats wut i do... i dont know about all u other guyz[8D]

Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: BourgeoisX

ORIGINAL: blackmetal619

well you know when your going a certain speed in a certain gear? you tap the gas pedal to make it line up to those rpms, so when you downshift its really smooth and doesnt jolt you forward

ahh. so say if i was in 5th gear drop down to 50mph b4 i downshift?
yea so say if your going 50, in 5th gear and you want to downshift to 4th. and normally if you go 50 in 4th gear then thats about 3700rpms (just guessing) So when your in neutral for the second that your downshifting from 5th to 4th, tap the gas so it goes to 3700 rpms to line it up, and it will feel really smooth rather than making you lean forward

Old 03-21-2007, 12:55 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: BourgeoisX

well you know when your going a certain speed in a certain gear? you tap the gas pedal to make it line up to those rpms, so when you downshift its really smooth and doesnt jolt you forward

ahh. so say if i was in 5th gear drop down to 50mph b4 i downshift?
yea so say if your going 50, in 5th gear and you want to downshift to 4th. and normally if you go 50 in 4th gear then thats about 3700rpms (just guessing) So when your in neutral for the second that your downshifting from 5th to 4th, tap the gas so it goes to 3700 rpms to line it up, and it will feel really smooth rather than making you lean forward

exactly! i think its called double clutching ...im not sure tho lol but ya if u do that it will make ur down shift alot smoother

Old 03-21-2007, 01:24 AM

ahhh ok i got ya. Here anuther Question. when would be the best (rpm's)time to shift to get the most acceleration. i allways shifted by the sound and speed i going but now that i have a tac and can see my rpms. should there be a certain rpm to shift at?

Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 AM
HCF Member

O.K. am I missing something? In my 98 EX 2nd gear is right below 1st. There is no way to miss it. Are other civics shift patterns different? I have missed 5th gear and threw it into 3rd, but missing 2nd??? Seriously, is there something I am not getting?

Old 03-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Ben

ORIGINAL: windcalmer

O.K. am I missing something? In my 98 EX 2nd gear is right below 1st. There is no way to miss it. Are other civics shift patterns different? I have missed 5th gear and threw it into 3rd, but missing 2nd??? Seriously, is there something I am not getting?
Ep si's are different, mine is at the top left corner.....

Old 03-21-2007, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Ben

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

basically they suck at driving and make up an excuse.
Not true, i've driven a stick for years and sometimes it just happeneds. If someone has been racing a few races the clutch could be hot, or sometimes you just don't get a clean shift straight down, which is really easy to do if you don't have a short shifter.
Glad someone said it. Even just driving, sometimes the habitual aspect of shifting will get interrupted by something else, and it doesn't quite make it all the way in when the clutch comes back up.

(Here come the comments on how much I suck at driving...heh)

Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 AM
HCF Member

Guess no one ever had a wet shoe that slipped off the pedal??
Guess no one was shifting so fast that they let off the clutch as they where pulling it into gear a got a little grind?[:'(][:@]
Guess no one ever power shifted (don't let off the gas)?

Guess I'd drive faster in a straight line shifting above 6K RPM then you shifting at 4K?? LOL

It is easy to miss a clean shift if you are pushing the limits of how fast a gear can actually be shifted.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Ben

ORIGINAL: windcalmer

Ep si's are different, mine is at the top left corner.....

I am not quite sure if you were being sarcastic or not there, but top left would make it first gear, or reverse in some cars, depending on the tranny, but honda is first

Quick Reply: How do ppl miss 2nd gear?