General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How do you shift your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:08 PM
HCF Member
Default How do you shift your car?

I just watched some video of a guy driving a civic and my god he was shifting the car like it was his gay buddy.

Instead of just gripping the shifter normal, almost like shaking someone's hand, he was holding it with the shift **** UNDER his hand. Like stick your hand out, palm facing the ground, now pretend the shift **** is in your palm and grip it. lol it was so weird.

edit:
yes the **** always fits in your palm, no matter how you hold it. I was watching a video of someone driving a civic and it happened to show the driver shifting and it looked like he had a limp wrist the entire time. I couldn't help but ask this question after I saw it lol I'm sorry

Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How do you shift your car?

ORIGINAL: inthezoneac

I just watched some video of a guy driving a civic and my god he was shifting the car like it was his gay buddy.

Instead of just gripping the shifter normal, almost like shaking someone's hand, he was holding it with the shift **** UNDER his hand. Like stick your hand out, palm facing the ground, now pretend the shift **** is in your palm and grip it. lol it was so weird.
is this a trick question? I thought that's how everyone did it.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

lol are you being serious? if you changed your shift **** to something like this how do you hold it then?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

The surest shifting involves actually holdingthe shifter differently for each gear. I usually pull down with three fingers for 1 -2 and 3 - 4, grip betweensecond and third finger and pull for 5 - 4,curl round the **** for3 - 2,use thethumb underneath for a quick 2 - 3, and the palm on the left side for a straight-line 4 - 5. This is actually similar to the way racing drivers use "biased" shifting so thatone shouldn't do a mis-shift even if one forgets what gearone is in. Works well for me....

Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

i think this is being way over analyzed...just grab it.

P.S. that's what she said.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mybrokenblinker

i think this is being way over analyzed...just grab it.

P.S. that's what she said.
Lol thats what i was thinking. But yeah in different gears i hold it differently

Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 PM
HCF Member

to throw some bullsh*t on this thread my right hand is in a cast because i broke it a week and a half ago and it makes shifting a bitch. I have to grab it in the manner the first post talked about, and it sucks lol

Old 04-07-2008, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

lol yea i think this is overanalyzed... i dont see what it matters as long as you get from gear to gear... and i guarantee not everyone holds it like you .. in fact now that i think of it i have my palm downwards a lot

Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

I guess my car's my gay buddy then.

The stock **** is shaped the way it is for a reason - to fit 'in' your hand... not with the shifter ball sticking out of your first like when you ****.

And not everybody's still into all the g'Hey 'Fast n Furious wannabe' accessories either.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

I just got stupider by reading this thread...[8D]

Most shift ***** are shaped so you palm it when you shift.

Quick Reply: How do you shift your car?