General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

how do you take out the oil filter?

Old 09-28-2006, 07:50 PM
HCF Member
Default how do you take out the oil filter?

Ok well i just did a oil change today (really needed it) and when i went to take out the filter this time, i got oil ALL down my arm..as soon as i was unscrewing it, oil poured out before i had a chance to unscrew it all.My car is just rased enough to get underneath so i dont have much space to move around. i no when you take it off you turn it up so the oil doesnt come out.
so how does everyone else do it, or does this happen to everyone?

Old 09-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Default RE: how do you take out the oil filter?

i usually loosen it enough that a bit of oil just drips out then take it off and face it upwards. most of the time its not a big problem with the oil getting all over the place. i kno like the first time i changed my oil i got hot oil alllll over my arm and shiz...[:@]

Old 09-28-2006, 09:25 PM

i understand man, heres the trick-drain the oil first till its just dripping, then, replace the bolt and crank the engine for 8-10 seconds, no damage will occur, and it will drain the filter back into the oil pan, just shut the car off, and take the bolt back out. Now, no hot oil dripping in face (personal experience)

Old 09-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Cat Fuсker

or you could relocate the oil filter...

Old 09-28-2006, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

Same thing happend to me the first time i did it. What i do is have the car raised enough so i can move around a bit. THen i just find the magic postition where my arm isnt underneath the filter. then i just unscrew it while it drips and no worries

Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

i always just expect for it to end up in my face.... i got over it after about the 15th time.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: baker

i always just expect for it to end up in my face.... i got over it after about the 15th time.
^

Like Roto said, you could always relocate your filter, which I am seroiusly considering doing myself. Or, you can do what the others said, let the oil drain until it is barely dripping anymore, then crank off the filter. You're bound to get a little messy, it's a big part of working on cars

Old 09-29-2006, 08:24 AM
HCF Member

Damn, I thought I was the only one with this problem!! I thought I was doing something wrong, but didn't really mind getting it on me, I figured it made me more of a man to be covered in oil..

Old 09-29-2006, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

ya i could relcate, doesnt bother me that much tho..but i think i will just let it drip out next time. The first couple times i did it tho that never happend to me, and i cant think of what i did different[&:], mabey ill just go on the other side of the filter next time..its such a pain to get your arm up in there

ya working on your car is pretty dirty, i was always getting my clothes dirty so now i just have a set of work jeans and sweater with fiberglass resin/grease all over them..each stain has a story

Old 09-29-2006, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

Happens to me like every time so i don't really care anymore. I wear dirty shirts/pants when im working under the car for a reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do you take out the oil filter?