General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How to Jack Front of Car

Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 AM
HCF Member
Default How to Jack Front of Car

Hey guys,

It's almost oil change time, but I don't feel like using my ramps. It's a pain in the *** getting the car on them, and then not driving off the end of them when I don't have a helper. So I'm just gonna use my big jack and jack stands this time around. I'm aware of the four jack point near each wheel well, but is there a jack point on the front of the car?

If I jack from the wheel wells, I won't be able to put the jack stands under those jack points since one of them will be occupied by the jack (plus I'm not really comfortable doing it that way). I know many American cars have a front jack notch, but I'm not sure about my Civic. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,
Colin

Old 09-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I always just used the jacking points on the pinch welds (the four points you're talking about) with a jack stand under the lower control arms.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 AM
HCF Member

there is a jack point under the front of the car. it is about a foot behind the front of the bumper, and slightly toward the driver side. It doesn't look the same as the jack points on the side, but it is fairly obvious if you just get under the car and look for it.

I usually use that point for the floor jack, then stick a jack stand under the passenger LCA, and a jack stand under the driver side jack point. I like to go a little overkill because as low as my car it I would get completely smooshed the car fell.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:31 AM

I usually never jack from the pinch welds near the wheel well, unless I am just taking a wheel off real quick and need to work in that area only.

Otherwise, I always jack up from the front spot, or the rear tow hook, while placing jack stands on the front pinch welds and where the Rear LCAs meet the subframe.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Sigracer10
there is a jack point under the front of the car. it is about a foot behind the front of the bumper, and slightly toward the driver side. It doesn't look the same as the jack points on the side, but it is fairly obvious if you just get under the car and look for it.

I usually use that point for the floor jack, then stick a jack stand under the passenger LCA, and a jack stand under the driver side jack point. I like to go a little overkill because as low as my car it I would get completely smooshed the car fell.
I appreciate the help. I think I found it, but I want to be sure so I don't bend anything. I'l try to attach a pic of what I think is the jack point. Is this it? :

Attached Thumbnails How to Jack Front of Car-photo-0032.jpg  
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 AM
HCF Member

jack it up by the front tow hooks and put the stands under the jack points behind the front wheels.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM
HCF Member

**bump for the above question**

BTW, I don't see any tow hooks on the front. And honestly, just jacking up the front and putting jack stands under the wheel well points sounds easier...I just don't know if the above picture is actually the proper jacking point, or something important that will bend. That's the only thing I see resembling a jacking point under the front of the car.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

Top left corner.

Name:  Eg2.jpg
Views: 5375
Size:  122.1 KB

Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

ya the point in the picture is the correct spot. at least thats what i use.

and the only reason i put one jack under the passenger LCA and not the pinch weld is because my jack comes up about an inch short, so i cant fit my jack stand under there. so the LCA is the next best place

Old 09-07-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by 99lx
I appreciate the help. I think I found it, but I want to be sure so I don't bend anything. I'l try to attach a pic of what I think is the jack point. Is this it? :
yep, that's it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Jack Front of Car