General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How much of a gain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Default How much of a gain?

So this guy I used to be friends with bought a 96 teggy GSR. (Thanks to MY advice when we were friends). He bought it already modded out, but acts like he knows everything there is to know about cars. But, on this teg, it has a JDM vtec cylinoid (sp?). I was wondering if having that as opposed to a stock one would make a noticeable difference in power when vtec hits. Ive driven his car a few times, but that was back when we were friends, and before I had the Si. So I cant really compare the two from memory. If anyone knows, thanks!

(I called him when I bought the Si to see if he wanted to race, because we have pretty much the same parts, besides the vtec. He has yet to agree to a race.)

Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Default RE: How much of a gain?

Well, it is a GSR... you'd have to drive quite a race to beat him (assuming he's at all competant behind the wheel). Especially if you guys have the same mods... Keep in mind you're talking about a B16A vs. a B18C1.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 PM

O I knew it would be very close. But his car is also a 96 and had about 100k miles on it. Mine had 27k when we were going to race. Mine is in much better condition than his. He said his car wouldnt hit vtec for some reason, so that kinda gave me an idea that its in even worse shape than it was when I drove it.

I was jw if its worth it to buy a JDM vtec... And also, if I were to get type R cams, and like JDM pistons and rings.. Anyone know what kinda gain that would give me?

Old 01-18-2006, 11:58 PM

One of the best budget NA B16A setups (in other words, using all factory parts from one car or another) would probably be your engine, ITR exhaust cam, CTR intake cam, ITR throttle body, JDM B16A pistons, and a thinner head gasket. That should get you close to 11:1 CR, with some heavy duty flow both in and out. If you're really feeling dangerous, throw some B16B pistons in there instead, which will put your CR through the roof and necessitate octane booster.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:33 PM
HCF Member

It seems you decided to stick with the ole' red rocket I see.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: remington870_20ga

It seems you decided to stick with the ole' red rocket I see.
ya i was going to ask you too, i havent heard anymore about if your still going to sell it but i see a couple a posts asking about the civic still

Old 01-19-2006, 09:01 PM

Well heres the situation. This kid really wants to buy it. Hes offerring to drive up from Socal to buy it. The thing is that my mom started saying that she didnt want to cosign a loan to finance a new car for me. So unless she definitely agrees to get a loan with me, Im not selling the Si. I really do like it, and if I dont have to pay a car payment I can put all that money into the Si.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 PM

dont sell the Si! jk but what kinda car do you want instead?

Old 01-19-2006, 10:17 PM

I was gonna get a 3 series beemer, until Drbyers convinced me to check out the WRX's. So I think Im gonna go with that since they are AWD, and turboed. Im still not positive what Im doing tho.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:17 PM

good deal, good deal. But i do dig your Si.

Quick Reply: How much of a gain?