General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How much should it cost for a shop to tune my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I am by no means a knowledgeable tuner, but I think that a P28 ECU can be used to convert the OBDII B16a2 engine to OBDI. I hope some of our experts can comment on this. Though, I am not sure how you go about interpreting OBDI CEL codes for an OBDII engine.

By the way, you can post an unlimited number of pictures by using Photobucket. Then just post the links.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM

^you can use a P30 (I think...) or a chipped P28 (NOT AN EBAY CHIP) to convert to OBD1. you just need ECU conversion harness and the ECU. I'd go to Phearable.net and get an ECU conversion harness and a chipped P28 ECU and have them set it up for your specs. Make sure to tell them all engine related mods, including intake header and exhaust just to be safe.

i don't think you can put a different ECU in the case
why, anyway?
lol

Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
you just need ECU conversion harness and the ECU. I'd go to Phearable.net and get an ECU conversion harness and a chipped P28 ECU and have them set it up for your specs. Make sure to tell them all engine related mods, including intake header and exhaust just to be safe.
Isn't it possible that the P28 ECU is chipped and that a proper conversion harness was used? If so, how does the OP figure this out?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM

you open up the ECU and if there's a chip in this place (the blue square that is labeled) then you have a chipped ECU.

I just realized he doesn't need an ECU conversion harness as he already has OBD1.

I bet the problem lies in that hackjob of wiring at the ECU

Old 01-21-2009, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

yeah I just talked to the previous owner he said it is set up fine basically he told me all that stuff you guys just said, he seems to know what he is talkin about so I don't think ill mess around opening the ecu, im glad he finally returned my call he said he found a bunch of parts like a sway bar and stuff that he hadn't put on yet so he's sendin it to me for free, he also told me that there is a good shop here in toledo, that will tune it for under 300, so know that we got all that figured out were back to the problem of gettin the engine light to turn off, it seems logical that I would use the p28 ecu code 16 and start with the injectors, i have looked through the manual a few times for the engine and I can't find the diagnostics for the injectors, ron you seem to know those like the back of your hand do you know where that is in there?

BTW I just put in new lights in the garage so I took some pics now that it is bright in there, i put them in an album tell me what you guys think.

Last edited by joelmatt89; 01-21-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I am at a complete loss to suggest how you should proceed in troubleshooting code 16 from an OBDI P28 ECU hooked to an OBDII B16a2 engine. While OBDI has code 16 to indicate a fuel injector circuit problem, OBDII lacks such a code for the fuel injector circuit. In addition, unlike the manual for OBDI 5th generation Civics, the manual for OBDII 6th generation Civics lacks a protocol for multimeter testing the fuel injectors. Nonetheless, given that you measured identical resistances for all four fuel injectors, I think it is highly unlikely that all four fuel injectors are bad. I just don't know what code 16 means for your OBDII engine. Phone the tuner recommended by the seller, and inquire whether he/she knows how to address this issue.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 PM

hmm
i have an idea...
maybe the OBD1 engine is throwing the code because the OBD2 engine doesn't have a place for the plug on the harness to plug into. Then, the ECU looks for injectors to check them but doesn't find them.

I know that OBD2 injectors have different injector wiring clips than OBD1, so maybe this has something to do with it.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

wow im getting confused but I guess ill try callin that shop tomorrow and see what they say any other ideas in the meantime would help, by the way thanks for all the help so far, I should probly call the previous owner again and see what he thinks he seemed pretty familiar with this set up, i remember him saying that the engine light would stay on but he didn't say why, I would like to find a way to get it to turn off so if something else triggers the cel i will know

Last edited by joelmatt89; 01-21-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
so is the ecu a different obd than the engine because I thought the previous owner told me it was the same obd, it doesn't have adapter on it, would you need one to connect obdI to obdII, if it doesn't have the sensor does that mean there is no way to get the light to turn off, he also said something about that the engine light will stay on
The B16a2 engine was designed to run with an OBDII ECU. The p28 ECU is OBDI. The latter ECU was chosen because it can be chip modified for tuning, whereas the OBDII ECU cannot (my understanding).

Ask the previous owner specifically why he believes that CEL code 16 cannot be fixed. As Trust says, my guess would be that the code 16 sensor wire is not connected. If you can't get a satisfactory answer here from HCF or from the previous owner, then post the same question on the 92-00 Honda-Tech forum.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM

are we 100% sure it's a code 16?
just checking first for sure

Quick Reply: How much should it cost for a shop to tune my engine?