General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How much should I really do?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

I guess I'm just a little intimidated since ivee never screwed around with the tranny before

Old 12-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Well with as many miles on it as it has if your gonna fix that you might as well get a new clutch.... I'm sure there should be some sort of directions on tranny removal somewhere on this site. I'm brand new just trying to get some insite on possible build opportunities since the civic has a good aftermarket. I just want to find a site like the one I have for the Srt4 neon like AGP turbo or something for the civic then i will feel better about it rather than seeing cheap flimsy ebay turbo kits for less than a real "turbo" costs..

Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

I suggest a y8 head swap. its a sohc just like yours, but Vtec. There are plenty of write ups on this swap all over the internet. Its very popular and not too difficult. I have done this to my d15b2.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Civiccurious
Is that the throw out bearing or the TOB you mean...
?

No, I mean the input shaft bearing, like I said...

And a head swap is not hard. Pretty simple, really.
1. remove wiring harnesses and ground wires, spark plug wires, spark plugs
2. unbolt intake and exhaust manifolds from their stabilization brackets then unbolt them from the head and move away from the head enough to create clearance between the manifold studs and the manifold so that you'll be able to lift the head up. Scrape the gasket off the mounting surfaces.
3. Remove valve cover, remove upper timing belt cover.
4. set engine to TDC
5. Pop off the tensioner bolt cover (round plastic or rubber insert in the lower timing belt cover), loosen bolt a little, and slip the belt off of the cam gear
6. remove head bolts/studs
7. Remove hoses (do this right before removing the head so you have less time for it to make a potential mess)
8. remove head

9. clean block/head mating surface, and make sure head is at/close to TDC

10. put on head and put on head bolts (torquing in proper order and steps- there is a DIY on this forum)
11. put on new gaskets, and both manifolds, torque to specs
12. put on hoses and wires
13. make sure head is at TDC, slip on timing belt, then turn the crankshaft counterclockwise by 3 notches on the cam gear. tighten timing belt tensioner bolt, and put the bolt cover back on the timing belt cover
14. install upper timing belt cover, then valve cover, then spark plugs and spark plug wires, distributor (if not already on, and make sure it's the right distributor... same goes for wires and plugs)
15. set ignition timing
16. I would change the oil... but you can just check the oil level and add as necessary... make sure you lube up the new head a little manually before cranking by putting oil on its parts
17. add coolant as necessary, bleed system

Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 AM

^Additionally, if you're swapping to a vtec head, you'll have to run two wires for the VTEC solenoid and swap to a different computer.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:03 PM
HCF Member

better check with your merchanic