General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How to put car on four jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:40 PM
HCF Member
Default How to put car on four jack stands?

Is there a (safe) way to put a jack stand under each jack point using ordinary floor jacks?

Old 09-07-2010, 06:08 PM
HCF Member

sounds scary to me. I am gun-shy about that stuff because once I used a jackstand on grass and it tipped causing the rotor to fall on my hand.

If I were you, I would use cement blocks and jack stands just to be safe. And make sure you are on level cement although its common sense for most people except me.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I was always afraid to try it, but it would be really convenient for changing the brake fluid. That sounds like it really hurt. How many bones did you break?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

It is real easy to put your car up on 4 jack stands. Mine in up on 4 right now. I jacked up the front of the car put to jack stands under it. Let it down and went to the back of the car. There is a spot to hook a toe strap under the rear bumper. I just jacked up right there and placed jack stands on eack side of the car in front of the rear tires. It is simple to do.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Like Maximus said, don't attempt to do that on dirt. You need a level concrete floor.

It's possible to reach the brake bleeders just reaching underneath once you have them broken loose. Put the rear up on ramps and turn the front wheels to one side or the other depending on which caliper you need to reach.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM
HCF Member

Thanks! I was thinking this would also make it a lot easier to install new struts/springs and a new exhaust later.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

Just make sure you do it safely and make sure the car wont slip or you will have a really bad day like my cuz

Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

I don't think the question has been answered yet. Exactly where under the car do you put the jackstands if you are doing something like replacing suspension parts? MaximusFunk, you are lucky they are not remembering you on the Darwin Awards site.
Now back to the question. I'm sure you can put the stands under suspension parts but will that prevent you (or in this case, me) from doing what I need to do if, on the offchance, I find that after a mere 228,000 miles, the '91 Civic wagon needs some new balljoints, shocks, brakes, etc.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jockellis
I don't think the question has been answered yet. Exactly where under the car do you put the jackstands if you are doing something like replacing suspension parts? MaximusFunk, you are lucky they are not remembering you on the Darwin Awards site.
Now back to the question. I'm sure you can put the stands under suspension parts but will that prevent you (or in this case, me) from doing what I need to do if, on the offchance, I find that after a mere 228,000 miles, the '91 Civic wagon needs some new balljoints, shocks, brakes, etc.
LOLOL I love you for this.

I was thinking the exact same thing while reading this thread. I also have a need to sometimes put my car up on 4 jackstands.
And your comment about the Darwin Awards..couldn't be more spot on.

So here's how I would do it:
Put a jack under the middle of your subframe brace in the rear. Don't worry, this is a structural part of the car. Jack it up from there until you can put jackstands under the tabs that Honda has. Those little metal tabs on each side of the car. The factory sideskirts have arrows pointing to them. There are two in front of the rear wheels, and two behind the front wheels.

So you now have the rear suspended in the air.
The front is a little trickier, but here's how I would do it. Put a jack under a control arm mount in the front and lift on side of it. You can only do one side at a time this way. When you get that side high enough to put a jack stand under the tab/mount, do it. Then move onto the other side. then you have your car on 4 jack stands

Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
HCF Member

Would you recommend the flat-topped jackstands or the V-shaped?

Quick Reply: How to put car on four jack stands?