General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How to put car on four jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jockellis
Would you recommend the flat-topped jackstands or the V-shaped?
Either ones would be fine. The V-shaped one's would probably work better on these Civics. The little tab that is mean for jacking up would sit in the V and would be less likely to slip out.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Clean95hatch
Either ones would be fine. The V-shaped one's would probably work better on these Civics. The little tab that is mean for jacking up would sit in the V and would be less likely to slip out.
The "little tab" is meant for only using the factory jack, or jackstands. Do NOT use a floor jack on those tabs. You WILL bend it eventually and force a jack through your rocker panel.

If you refer to the owners manual, it will tell you the same... It did in my 89 anyways ha ha.

The jacking points for floor jacks are the rear tow hook and the middle of the front crossmember. It's a pretty sturdy point.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
HCF Member

that doesn't even make sense...

you can jack the car up by the tabs with a scissor jack, but not a floor jack? a jack is a jack. either way, the weight of the car is pressing down on the tab.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 PM
HCF Member

OMG, a jack point discussion drama..!! you know what? If are you jacking from an area where it start to bend or taking shape, then it not the right area. So there..! LOL

btw, original post was in 2010

Last edited by droopy128; 02-08-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 AM
HCF Member

Because a floor jack lifts and pulls towards you, whereas a scissor jack lifts straight up. It really is that simple.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by zerojett
Because a floor jack lifts and pulls towards you, whereas a scissor jack lifts straight up. It really is that simple.
oh ****! I wonder if that's why floor jacks have wheels?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:42 PM
HCF Member

I'm just trying to warn you so you don't damage your car, or someone else's, due to misinformation of proper jacking points.

By all means, if you want to jack the car up on that fragile tab of metal, which is known to be prone to damage, go for it. I'm not going to stop you.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 AM
HCF Member

OK. I will. I've been jacking it up from there for years, and I will continue to do so.
I mean, I guess it means absolutely nothing that Honda has arrows POINTING to the tabs for jack spots. But, I guess you're right. Those are flimsy.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 AM
HCF Member

Why can you not place the jackstands under the frame members fore and aft? If they are strong it would seem they could safely support the car. Personally, if I did it this way I'd want to then have the scissor jack, with its top plate made to fit around the tab, it this position giving a redundant support and the floor jack somewhere else on that side of the car giving a double redundancy. Recently I had my floor jack fail and let the car fall with me under it. Of course I had the jackstands under it about 1/32 of an inch below the height of the floor jack and it stopped right there. I thought I had it the other way around but anyway, all I had to do was shovel out my pants.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Clean95hatch
OK. I will. I've been jacking it up from there for years, and I will continue to do so.
I mean, I guess it means absolutely nothing that Honda has arrows POINTING to the tabs for jack spots. But, I guess you're right. Those are flimsy.
Official EF/CRX Jacking Points - Honda-Tech

This, right here, is exactly what I'm talking about. Instead of just spouting here-say, I'll present some information.

8th Generation Honda Civic Forum - View Single Post - How to jack-up your car

There's some info on the 8th gen Civic. Notice the difference in lifting equipment being used. Floor jack on the tow hooks, a lift used on the jack-stand points...

Want me to start sorting through my Honda service PDFs to find every generation specific information? I've really got nothing better to do since there's a foot of snow outside.

But surely, even the Honda service manual must be wrong...