General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How to Shop Safely On eBay

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Default How to Shop Safely On eBay

So, you're afraid of eBay because you don't want to get ripped off. However, you want to find the best deal possible on a particular part.
Unfortunately, if you want the best deals, usually you're going to have to shop on eBay.

The best strategy for shopping on eBay:
  • Figure out exactly what you want before you go on eBay (brand, etc.). To do this, go to a large performance parts site and browse their webstore. Decide on a part.

• Then, go on ebay and look for the exact part you decided on. The ones sold on eBay are going to be the same exact part, just less expensive (usually less expensive).

Notes:
  • Never believe the HP gains that the product descriptions claim to give you. Figure this out by doing research on car forums. This forum will do nicely for that, as many of us can give you a decent estimate of range of HP gains.

• If it's on eBay, and it says "JDM", the word "JDM" is usually there as simply a keyword and/or a word to attract buyers. Honda JDM parts are only JDM if they are OEM Honda parts from Japan. This is not to say that all parts that say "JDM" are junk even if they're not really JDM; this is only to say that if you see "JDM" and it's not an OEM Honda part, completely ignore the fact that it says "JDM".

• Stay away from parts that have a higher risk of breaking or parts that are vital to the engine. I would also avoid anything electrical, like HIDs.
    • For example, it would be pretty hard for a generic part manufacturer to make a faulty 2-point strut bar. A 2-point strut bar is simply a metal bar with brackets on each end... very basic construction.

• Another type of good generic parts are headlights, foglights, and taillights (I'm talking about the housings, not the bulbs). In most cases they fit perfectly. They usually only require being sealed up with clear silicone. Many times, the lights you receive are the same brand that online stores sell.

• Stay away from parts like generic headers, cam gears, cams, pistons, gaskets, rods, bolts, clutches, flywheels, turbochargers, performance chips, performance modules, etc. Some people get away with this stuff, but do you really want to risk your money and possibly your engine?

• Another product to not touch with even a 31 1/2 pole are eBay listings for "performance chips," "performance modules," etc. even if they claim to be Mugen. They just don't work! (and they're not really Mugen, by the way)
      You can find more information about these "chips" in the ECU section of the forum.
      Always buy your "performance chip" directly from a reputable tuner/tuning company, such as www.Phearable.net

• Some brands on eBay are knock-off brands. These are somewhat easy to spot out if you know they exist. If you can't find the brand on any online store, it's probably one of these knock-off brands. Another way to find out is to do a search on a forum about that particular brand.
    • For example, on eBay you will find "XTD" Clutches. I assume that the goal of the company was to sound like ACT Clutches (since the sound of the name is similar), a reputable clutch company. Some people have had good luck with these clutches, but many people have had problems with the disc material breaking off because of poor construction. Once again, do research before you buy.

Conclusion

If there's one thing I would want most for you to remember from this, it's to research before you buy something.
As they say, "buyer beware".
I hope this information helps you find some good deals.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 03-24-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
HCF Member

yeah, just use common sense.....

I love ebay

Old 04-24-2009, 11:51 AM

bump

typed all this up, and i still see threads where people are in need of this info
would make a good sticky somewhere

Old 04-24-2009, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

^ +1 on the sticky. I've seen a lot of threads asking about ebay stuff lately.

I'd say sticky in the General Civic talk section...well, this section lol

Old 04-25-2009, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

Usually for cheap parts I would need I suggest eBay but for performance and stuff unless it's the actual engine, Performance website. I want legit stuff and not have to worry if it's fake or not.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by monkeyspit
Usually for cheap parts I would need I suggest eBay but for performance and stuff unless it's the actual engine, Performance website. I want legit stuff and not have to worry if it's fake or not.
For the most part, anything on eBay that claims to be of a brand name is that brand name. Except for stuff like most of the "spoon" oil caps... but that should be obvious because they do not resemble the real part in any way.