General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How to tell if my engine is a vtec

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by AZipper
I have a D16Y8 and I consider it an advantage that it doesn't say VTEC on the valve cover.. less odds of someone messing with it/you unless they know what they are doing.
Not that the vtec solenoid on the corner of the head would be a clue...

Only stupid people steal stuff they know nothing about

Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Not that the vtec solenoid on the corner of the head would be a clue...

Only stupid people steal stuff they know nothing about
correction, only stupid people steal

Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Over the weekend I went in for a hair cut and I later found out that a tow truck company towed my car. I filed a police report and hours later I got a call from them saying that my car was reported towed from a newr by tow company. They towed the car because it was I parked in the property next to the hair cut place but it all looks like one parking area to me. Anyway they dented my car and damaged my front bumper. Some tow truck companies are also thieves I think because they charged me 300.00 to get my car our. I know this is out of place but I just needed to vent here vs at the tow company....

Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 AM
HCF Member

I've heard of this happening as well. Very faintly marked areas. Companies make tons off of tows and think about impounds. Is there a way you can prove they damaged your car? I would take that to some kind of civil court if it is bad enough. I would also talk to the business next to the hair cut place.. what d*bags.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 AM

I think the only way you have a case against the tow truck company is if you have a picture of the area before and after, and then proving that the before and after pictures actually were taken before and after the tow. However, I could be wrong about this. Good luck with whatever happens.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Cereal Admin

AZipper, the hose was to protect wires running from one headlight to the other for halos. I never said I'm not a ricer

And given that my taste in Hondas involves them almost sitting on the ground. So basically, it doesn't matter what's stamped on my valve cover, if someone wants to steal a modified Honda, they're going to steal my car.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

Reaper- Thanks. I know nothing about aftermarket headlights other than some guy has "fake jdm" yellow lights in my town and the blue ones should be illegal on anything with a bumper that is higher than my trunk

Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by AZipper
Reaper- Thanks. I know nothing about aftermarket headlights other than some guy has "fake jdm" yellow lights in my town and the blue ones should be illegal on anything with a bumper that is higher than my trunk
They are probably also using HIDs in reflectors, which is illegal... Although, if the lights are that high, even a decent set of halogen lights will blind you

Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 AM
HCF Member

I've had complaints about how bright mine are and they are just clean factory lenses. I don't understand when people talk about wattage.. some are blue and fade to white (8,000) or whatever... even if I tilt the rear view down I can't see

Old 04-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Super Cereal Admin

The 6,000K/8,000K numbers everyone always throws around are the color temperatures of the lights (6,000K = 6,000° Kelvin). As far as headlights go, under 5,000K is usually a yellow color, 5,000K-8,000K is usually white (towards 8,000K you get a hint of blue), and above 8,000K will be varying shades of blue. After 5,000K the amount of visible light actually starts decreasing (the light shifts into the ultraviolet spectrum), though it's good to have a little bit of light in the ultraviolet spectrum as it tends to light up reflective signs better.

Quick Reply: How to tell if my engine is a vtec