General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Is this hurting....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:31 AM
Default RE: Is this hurting....?

Here's a fun story to illustrate this point:

Back in the mid 60s, when they were kids, my dad and uncle were driving around in their dads car. It had one of those push-button automatic transmissions. Like, a button for D, P, N, etc. My then-16-year-old uncle was driving, and at a stopsign, he said, "Hey. I wonder what would happen if I put it in N, stepped on the gas and then pressed D suddenly." So he revved up the car and pressed D and SCCRRRRVVVWWWRRRPMM! The car bucks and shuts down. The push the car into a neighbors driveway and as they're moving it, they see a little pile of gearteeth on the ground.
Luckily, their father hated that car and was looking for an excuse to get rid of it. "We don't know what happened," they said. "It just died on us."

Want to do burnouts with your FWD auto tranny car? Use the E brake.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:30 AM

well hes had his car (93 Integra) for a prety long time and hes done it since hes got it and he doesnt have problems. im not saying tht he wont but was just curious. and out of the times tht i did it the tranmission didnt sound or feel lyk it was having a hrad time doing it. but thnx for the info and saving my trani.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:50 AM

It's one of those things that can happen in a year or tomorrow.

But either way, it WILL happen, no doubt. Don't push your luck, auto tranny's suck as it is, but they suck even more all laying over the road.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

definatly dont ever do it again!

i used to do it with my older cars i realy didnt give a dam about! but then again that was mainly my 66impala.... but after i blew up the original 327 i swaped in a 400 motor and then didnt need to nuetral drop it anymore. LMFAO

you wanna do a burn out get a bigger motor.........

unless you want to realy look STUPID and do it and then PUT PUT....... your engines runnen hard but your siting still realy looking like a @ss...... and then everyone else laughing at you starts pointing and drives by in thier real beater car!
alls it takes is for one little tooth to break off in the tranny and then its total devistation!!!! that broken piece gets into this good piece... POOF no more good, now its shratnel and so on and so forth.... and lets face it anything moven that fast takes a second to stop and a second is all it takes for thousands of pieces of metal to shred your trannys guts out!

i havent tried the Ebrake thing tho for doing a burn out just never had the place and felt like it at the same time....

i could do it with my old crapy 86crx tho BUT it was a stick so it was easy enough.LOL

if ya realy wanna do a burn out get the crappiest/cheapest car you can find and then do it with that...

and as to the mountain dew burn out.... O MAN.. that may look cool...... but i wouldnt want to do it on my car..... bad enough when ya run over a coke and the syrup blows back on your car talk about a huge sticky mess!

Old 06-29-2006, 01:06 PM

drive over a speed bump, and let the back tires rest agenst it, pull the parking brake, and slightly push the gas pedal to the floor, this should do the least amount of harm to your tranny. if that doesnt work, add water.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:28 PM

lol those are some creative ideas but burning out aint everything. i was just haven fun at the time and wanted to know the after effects of it. but ive done it a few times quickly with my stock d16y8 engine so i noe my engines strong. im looking into cosmetics now and preformance later

Old 06-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

DONT BE SO SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just cause your tranny hasnt died already doesnt mean it hasnt caused damage!

autos still have intenal glutches and discs which wear all the time.

but believe me and everyone else everytime you do it your shorten its life HUGE!

not trying to sound like were tellen ya its not cool. weve heard of pleanty of burned out transmisions due to this same thing!!!!!!!!!
and its NOT CHEAP TO FIX!!!!!!

your gonna have fun until the tow truck has to come and ya get the bill for a new transmision!
then youll never think about doing it again... AT LEAST IF YOUR SMART YA WONT!

i burnt up my friends eclipse with having fun one day when i poped it in neutral at a stop sign just messen with her and she reved up the motor and got realy pissed i was messen with her and she slamed the colum back and then it just JUMP JUMP and then NOTHING! had to tow car home and then tow to tranny shop for a 1,600dollar trany rebuild bill! and she even said shes done the neutral drop a few times an the tranny was already starting to slip from it. needless to say i dont mess with people like that anymore!

Old 06-30-2006, 01:03 PM

Is it that bad in a manual? Like reving the engine then popping the clutch? I've done that a few times so... just wondering [8D]

Old 06-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

for a stick it shouldnt damage as bad... mainly cause you can easily replace the clutch and clutch spring plate and everything else thier, throw out bearing and such! with a automatic thats all computer controled you have to pull the whole tranny apart!

so besides more clutch wear and posibly damaging sycros are your only real problem. but either way even if you do grind some gears off a manual its still CHEAPER than a automatic to rebuild!

but either way if you got the cash to burn up and a spare car to drive GO AHEAD and do it.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:17 PM

Say I'm driving down the street and I get up to the 30 mph speed limit and there's a stop sign a ways up the road. Is it bad for my automatic transmission to pop it in neutral and coast to the stop sign? Or what about just coasting to a corner and then popping it in Drive once I'm around the corner?

Quick Reply: Is this hurting....?