General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

hybrid questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Default RE: hybrid questions

If you use the combined fuel mileage estimates for a 2008 Honda Civic EX (29 MPGs)and a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid (42 MPGs) along with the difference between the suggested (base) retail prices of both vehicles per year (the differenceis approximately $3,890)averaging 15,000 miles per year on both vehicles and assuming an average cost of $3.00 per gallon of gasoline then the difference in the number of tanks of gasoline you use per year is 12 tanks more in the Civic EX. The total difference per year in cost of gasoline between the two vehicles is an additional $475.20 for the Civic EX. If you divide the additional cost for gasoline (475.20)for the Civic EX by the difference in price between the two vehicles ($3890)you would have to own the Civic hybrid for 8.2 years to make up the cost difference. These are rough figures but they are relatively accurate.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:34 PM
HCF Member

I'm not sure about the Civic hybrid, but a friend of mine with a Prius says that when she has the AC on the gas motor is running most of the time, which cuts the mileage down. The other problem is the heater only puts out heat when the motor is running also, so her windshield does not stay clear in inclement weather. Maybe a Civic hybrid owner can add to this.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 PM

I was wondering how the ac works when the vehicle is stopped and the idle-stop feature shuts the engine off??? I didn't think about the impact it would have on heating the car in the winter time. Hopefully a Civic hybrid owner can shed somelight onthe subject.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:36 AM
HCF Member

There are no hybrid owners here, the closest you will find to that is Peg which has a Fit but in all reality if you can wait I would wait until honda brings the I-DSI technology to the U.S. They are replacing the Accord hybrid with a I-DSI model in the near future and it should do great.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 AM
HCF Member

My moms assistant drives a civic hybrid. I drove in it, but didnt drive it, I think its smooth ride...but I agree with the whole HX deal.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 AM

I purchased a 2007 Civic Hybrid in Nov. 2006 and have about 22K miles on itto date.I'm new to this Forum and signed up toshare these experiences with anyone interested.

1. Price premium. I paid $22K for the car andgot the $2100 rebate on my federal taxes. A similar LX was going for $17.5K. That's net $2400 more for the Hybrid vs new LX. (I understand the tax incentives are less now.)

2. Mileage. I get 45+ mpg on the freeway. My mixed avg is around 42 mpg. I can get better mileage if I drive like a wuss. But I'm happy with my mileage and my speed.

3. California Carpool Lane Stickers. I got 'em! This was the deal kicker for me -- using the carpool lane (alone) saves me an hour a day. The 91 Toll is upwards of $9.80 each way during rush hour, and I ride for free. I get an unbelievably large grin on my face every day as I pass parked cars on the freeway at 75mph.

4. A/C, heating, etc. The hybrid engine had a hard time keeping the car cool during the hottest summer months. I got SolarGard tint installed last month, and I highly recommend it. The A/C runs less, I'm more comfortable, car gets better mileage, and looks good too. Never had a problem with ice/heater in CA.

Overall, I am very happy withmy Civic Hybrid for commuting. I'm saving about $1000 per month vs. myV8 Touareg (payment, insurance, fuel, maintenance). The carpool lane stickers aren't being offered in CA anymore (adding $4K to my car's resale value), but that has turned out to be the best thing about this car and the reason I'll drive the wheels off of it.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

If you really want to save money on gas, buy a diesel car (not a truck, a sedan). They get pretty good gas milage (50+) and diesel engins are really durable and last forever. Diesel fuel isn't much more expensive than gasoline, and in some places its cheaper. As Marty pointed out, Honda will be releasing the Accord Diesel in the near future which should get somewhere around 60MPG. I definatly think that diesel is the way to go if you are looking for a commutter.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Marty

There are no hybrid owners here, the closest you will find to that is Peg which has a Fit but in all reality if you can wait I would wait until honda brings the I-DSI technology to the U.S. They are replacing the Accord hybrid with a I-DSI model in the near future and it should do great.
incorrect... my wife/her mother owns a 7th gen hybrid, in addition to her/our new CRV.

FYI, the AC/heat shutoff when the motor shuts off in the stop-idle position.

Driven without a lead foot, the 7th gens can get 45+ while commuting.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 PM

I own one. Mileage is great but not as advertised. Average about 44-45 miles per gallon. So about 530-540 miles per tank. Plenty of fuel savings but more importantly a 2007 income tax credit for Hybird/Alternative for $2100. Govt is phasing out the credit soon though.
One major difference with the civic is that the back seat doesn't fold. The batteries are located behind the seat.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

And you cant forget about the performance. If you wanna save gas you have to go slow everywhere, or else the motor starts and you waste gas