General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I GOT A PROBLEM SHIFTING.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Default I GOT A PROBLEM SHIFTING.....

I GOT A AUTOMATIC 98 CIVIC 4 DOOR LX AND IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING STUCK INBETWEEN GEARS WHEN I SHIFT FROM PARK TO REVERSE TO DRIVE AND THEN BACK TO PARK..ANY IDEAS OR SOLUTIONS????????????THANK...

Old 05-09-2007, 01:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I GOT A PROBLEM SHIFTING.....

Put tranny fluid in it maybe.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if its not in the tranny which doesnt sound like... sounds like your just having problems with the shifter itself sticking...

is it mainly from pullen it outta park over night?
if so youve probably spilled some sodas and its all sticky.... pull the console and take some warm water and some cotton ***** or ear swaps and clean away

Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

...off topic but I love all Caps posts!!! haha it seems like the person is yelling!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
HCF Member

Are you shifting too quick? or is it getting stuck while trying to shift

Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

its just a coke spill......... sodas get REALY STICKY and when it adds up or spilled realy bad anot not cleaned up it sticks realy good! just pull the console off and start cleaning with a wet warm rag and work the crap outta it as well while cleaning... let it dry for awhile and try it again... if it still sticks alittle keep cleaning... and as soon as ya got it and free... wouldnt hurt to sprayy down the controls mechanisms with some WD40. put most likely just needs a good cleaning!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:06 PM

it's pretty much does it anytime of the day...

it gets stuck when i am trying to shift from park to any other gear.and then from the gear i am in back to park...

when its stuck,its really stuck in between the two gears and i really havetwo push hard to move itso i dont think its soda or anything like that...

-Im guessin sumthingwith the cable or the actual shifter.

*tha_next_Kobe-(lol,the caps is to get people to read it cause its a problem nobody can figure out on a automatic car.lol..)

Old 05-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well to make it easy on yourself... pull the console cover off and check it out yourself. mine was REALY HORIBLE under the shifter when i got my civic! i swear the women that owned the car before me was a real junk fooder and just loved starburst... and had her tounge pierced....LOL its funny what ya find in the car when ya give it a GOOD thourgh cleaning!

with a philips screw driver just take the cover off to inspect the shifter unit. 1or2 screws on the shifter handle philips... and 2 screws in the rear of the console.... have to slide seats forwards to get to them on the sides and i THINK thiers 2 infront of the console also...

Old 05-09-2007, 03:34 PM

thanks addiction2bass. ill try that.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:50 AM

I've got the same problem in a '95 Civic. Took the console off and cleaned everything (wasn't dirty to begin with), and greased everything. Mine feels like there's a "detent" -- almost like an extra gear -- between Park and Reverse. Lately, it's been getting harder and harder to put it back in Park. Adjusted the cable, and seems fine. Moves freely between all other gears, and drives normally once out of Park. Anyone have a fix for this? Could bad motor/transaxle mounts cause this?

Quick Reply: I GOT A PROBLEM SHIFTING.....