General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I need an answer!!! please

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Default I need an answer!!! please

so i have a 1990 honda civic and its lower like 4 inches i think... um its started to wobble and the tire wears on the inner side of the tires i have no clues whats up with it... some say tires are out of balance and a friend said the coils need to be adjusted... please help lol i have no clue when it comes to cars but im trying to learn

Old 02-04-2010, 02:08 PM

Funny tire wear is from excessive negative camber... that will happen when you're lowered 4". Either raise the car back to a more normal height (like lowered ~2") or get camber kits.

As for the wobbling, you may need to have your tires balanced or an alignment... it could be something else too.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Can you describe the wobble a little more? Does the steering wheel shake at highway speeds? Is it only at highway speeds (~40mph and higher), or is it low speeds, too?

As far as the tires wearing, it's most likely the toe angle mixed with negative camber. An alignment should take care of the tire wear; simply getting the toe angle back into specifications will slow down the tire wear considerably. Camber doesn't tend to wear tires nearly as fast as toe.

And stick around the forum... you'll learn a lot here

*edit: Stu. I rocked 3 degrees of negative camber all around with 205mm-wide tires (wider tires wear faster from camber than skinny tires) with no excessive tire wear; all it took was getting the toe set to manufacturer's preferred specifications. Toe is the true killer of tires; camber will wear tires when the angle is excessive, but I doubt the OP is truly rocking a 4" drop. A 4" drop on an EF could almost tuck 16's (and I'm not talking tire).

Last edited by reaper2022; 02-04-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:15 PM

the wobble is usually when im going low speeds (slowing down to stop or going thru a parking lot) and a little vibration when on the freeway... i just traded my truck for this car and now ive been driving it for about a month this all just started
my friend wanted to trade coils or something he said they might need to be adjusted or something i have no clue i just know my car keeps eattin tires and it wobbles lol

Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
*edit: Stu. I rocked 3 degrees of negative camber all around with 205mm-wide tires (wider tires wear faster from camber than skinny tires) with no excessive tire wear; all it took was getting the toe set to manufacturer's preferred specifications. Toe is the true killer of tires; camber will wear tires when the angle is excessive, but I doubt the OP is truly rocking a 4" drop. A 4" drop on an EF could almost tuck 16's (and I'm not talking tire).
I know, I know. I was thinking about that as I typed my reply but since he said he has a 4" drop it seems that if he really has a 4" drop then it's likely that the camber is a factor.

you're right though, I doubt he has a 4" drop. The undercarriage would be dragging on the ground

Old 02-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
I rocked 3 degrees of negative camber all around with 205mm-wide tires with no excessive tire wear
Agreed! I bought those rims/tires from him and rocked them for awhile. There was only minor feathering, nothing serious. And that was probably from my alignment problem.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If it wobbles at low speed with the brakes not applied, most likely one of your tires is not round. Look for bulges or depressions in the sides of the tire. Such a tire must be replaced of course.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM

Alrighty thank you guys that gives me more options then to just trade my friend his stalk coils for mine... i think he might be trying to take advantage of me and my lack of car knowledge.