General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I need help with my subs and amp

Old 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Default I need help with my subs and amp

ok i just put in 2x 12' rockford fosgate punch subs and a 1000w 2 channel rockdord amp. the peak on the subs are 300w but my amp delivers 500w per sub. how can i set this so my amp only delivers 300w per sub. the amp has a base lvl **** on it but no numbers ;/

and btw if these subs dont work out im spendin the money and getting 2x 12' type r alpines with a 1600w amp but i really dont feel like spending 1200$ on subs. the rockfords where 850 but i got it as a package deal for 600

Old 07-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: I need help with my subs and amp

The sub level should be set up so the bass is in proper proportion with the overall volume. Then you keep the overall volume down to avoid overpowering anything. Running oversized amps conservatively usually sounds better than undersized or barely adequate ones, unless the speakers blow.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM

well i had the base lvl on the amp all the way up and the subwoofer lvl on my deck like 12/15 and i dont crank it but i bump it, it doesnt seem to much for the speakers to handle i just didnt want to be feeding my subs with way to much energy and end up blowing them ;/

lmk what u think the best way to run my subs as far as adjusting the base lvl on the amp/deck/volume

Old 07-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you're after the "bump" effect then obviously you're going to have to turn the sub levels way up like you have, just don't overdo it with the main volume.

It doesn't matter too much how you distribute the setting between the two units, it may be a little cleaner to turn the deck up high and then back down the level at the amp.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:37 PM

yea i think im going to do that, adjust the amp down and ill run hte deck lvl high that way the base doesnt overpower the music, and another thing that sucks is some songs have like tons of base compared to others so one song ill be turnin the base up, the next song my ****in rear view mirror will be upside down.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:01 PM

need to kno? 2ohm or 4ohm subs?DVC?SVC? if you paid that type of money for subs im assuming DVC but im not sure of what ohm there on but if they are 4ohm subs then good. im assuming you have subs on 2 ohm which is + to - + to - and out the box and you have it unbridged. there are many routes to take. you can turn your main vol. up and down all the time like you guys already stated. rewire you subs for a 4ohm load if possible this probably make the amp run its rms rating to fit with your 300 watt subs and you can be safe knowing you wont blow them and dont have to touch the vol. or if you wanna get the alpines which are DVC 4ohm keep your amp do a 4ohm mono bridge its a great way to max out the amp and is stable for most 2channel a/b types check you owner manual though !
go to crutchfield.com for wiring diagrams free and in color every way possible to wire subs and amps together

Old 07-23-2007, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: civicsituner2000

need to kno? 2ohm or 4ohm subs?DVC?SVC? if you paid that type of money for subs im assuming DVC but im not sure of what ohm there on but if they are 4ohm subs then good. im assuming you have subs on 2 ohm which is + to - + to - and out the box and you have it unbridged. there are many routes to take. you can turn your main vol. up and down all the time like you guys already stated. rewire you subs for a 4ohm load if possible this probably make the amp run its rms rating to fit with your 300 watt subs and you can be safe knowing you wont blow them and dont have to touch the vol. or if you wanna get the alpines which are DVC 4ohm keep your amp do a 4ohm mono bridge its a great way to max out the amp and is stable for most 2channel a/b types check you owner manual though !
go to crutchfield.com for wiring diagrams free and in color every way possible to wire subs and amps together
well ur smarter than me when it comes to this ****, my amp is what cost the most, my amp was like 400, the speakers are SVC ;/ 4 ohm. im wired + to -. what do u think would be the best way to set em up. i may get type r's soon or another good DVC sub later on.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

you will be much happier with alpine type r's. I have one and its more than enough bass for me and i like a lot of bass. also don't even pay attention to the max wattage of a sub. all it is is how much wattage it can take in a single punch. you really need to pay attention to the RMS wattage and match that up. RMS is the continuous wattage that a sub or speaker can handle. based on the specs you gave earlier, you have P1's and they are 300 max and 150 rms, and the alpine type r is 500 rms and 1500 max. so the alpines are gonna handle a lot more power and as a result will be able to be hooked up to a much bigger amp, resulting in much more volume.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Sigracer10

you will be much happier with alpine type r's. I have one and its more than enough bass for me and i like a lot of bass. also don't even pay attention to the max wattage of a sub. all it is is how much wattage it can take in a single punch. you really need to pay attention to the RMS wattage and match that up. RMS is the continuous wattage that a sub or speaker can handle. based on the specs you gave earlier, you have P1's and they are 300 max and 150 rms, and the alpine type r is 500 rms and 1500 max. so the alpines are gonna handle a lot more power and as a result will be able to be hooked up to a much bigger amp, resulting in much more volume.
true but type r's are 230 ea

Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 PM
HCF Member

haha oh ya sry i forget, because i only paid 105 for mine cuz i work in car audio at best buy.

go check out ebay, you can get them hella cheap from an actual store not just some other person

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need help with my subs and amp