General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I need help with my subs and amp

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Default RE: I need help with my subs and amp

yea man if they were 105 for me id have 2 type r's with the 1200w alpine amp in my trunk but idk. do u think it would be ok to run my rockford 100w 2 channel amp to 2 alpine type r's? i will keep the p1's till i wanna spend the money for the type r's. unless i can find it cheap on ebay i will return my setup.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

what is the model number on the amp?

Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Sigracer10

what is the model number on the amp?
not sure ;/ but its 399 $ at bestbuy, i got it a little cheaper because i got it as a package deal online.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

after you find out if your subs are even hooked up right then this is all you need to do and really what you need to do......

http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/areynol1/gain.htm

Old 07-23-2007, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: n8te81

after you find out if your subs are even hooked up right then this is all you need to do and really what you need to do......

http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/areynol1/gain.htm
not what im asking, i have my subs hooked up right, i know there are many ways u can change that and it will change your quality/power.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

ok if it is the one that i looked at, assuming it is based on the price, then it is powerful enough to run 2 type r's pretty well. it won't run them to full potential, but its still gonna be pretty loud.

the amp will run 250 rms per channel at 2 ohm, so running the dual voice coils(of the type r's)in parallel will allow for maximum power output of the amp.

also for the time being, it will output 125 rms per channel at 4 ohm per channel, and your subs handle 150 rms so its good for both sets of subs.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Sigracer10

ok if it is the one that i looked at, assuming it is based on the price, then it is powerful enough to run 2 type r's pretty well. it won't run them to full potential, but its still gonna be pretty loud.

the amp will run 250 rms per channel at 2 ohm, so running the dual voice coils(of the type r's)in parallel will allow for maximum power output of the amp.

also for the time being, it will output 125 rms per channel at 4 ohm per channel, and your subs handle 150 rms so its good for both sets of subs.
ok thanks for ur help i plan to buy 2x type r's new on ebay for 300 total in a bit but for now ill run my subs, and i mgetting a baymare ot w/e 10' like an ev gold. ill run like a 800w mono amp or something

Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
HCF Member

A few rules of thumb here:

1. More speakers are blown with undersize amps than oversized ones.

2. Having the proper size box and correct tuning greatly affects the power handling. If the box is tuned improperly the speaker will have too much stroke and either blow or self-destruct. Run asin wavegenerator through your speakers, if you detect noticeable humps or dips, then it need retuning. Make sure the speaker is sealed and not leaking air anywhere but the vent, if it has one.

3. Cross out the speaker at the lowest possible frequency to minimise the power requirement. Try 70Hz or so. Go no higher than 100Hz. The higher you go the more power it takes.

4. Try to live with the lowest amount of "bump" you can handle. It will sound more natural and your speakers and amp will be happier. Your neighbors will appreciate it also. One of my pet peeves is listening to a trunk rattlingas a car passes with the sub onoverkill.

5. If the speaker sounds boomy, try adding some insulation inside.If it sounds dead, remove some. When it sounds crisp and tight, you probably got it right.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Gene J

A few rules of thumb here:

1. More speakers are blown with undersize amps than oversized ones.

2. Having the proper size box and correct tuning greatly affects the power handling. If the box is tuned improperly the speaker will have too much stroke and either blow or self-destruct. Run asin wavegenerator through your speakers, if you detect noticeable humps or dips, then it need retuning. Make sure the speaker is sealed and not leaking air anywhere but the vent, if it has one.

3. Cross out the speaker at the lowest possible frequency to minimise the power requirement. Try 70Hz or so. Go no higher than 100Hz. The higher you go the more power it takes.

4. Try to live with the lowest amount of "bump" you can handle. It will sound more natural and your speakers and amp will be happier. Your neighbors will appreciate it also. One of my pet peeves is listening to a trunk rattlingas a car passes with the sub onoverkill.

5. If the speaker sounds boomy, try adding some insulation inside.If it sounds dead, remove some. When it sounds crisp and tight, you probably got it right.
thanks, that helped a bit.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM

any other help is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: I need help with my subs and amp