General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

i think my speedsensor might be going bad. what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default i think my speedsensor might be going bad. what do you think?

wel the 94civic 5speed sometimes mainly when the morning and its cold the speedometer doesnt work at times... but seems to work from time to time and then somtimes stays working just fine....

i think its the speedsensor cause thats the only thing that it might be........ speedometer doesnt work and milage doesnt move either..
main downfall with that is not knowing true milage........
id like to test its milage BUT with the sensor not working or what ever i dont know what milage i actualy geting.LOL

im not sure what kinda milage to expect from this manual BUT hoping its 35+mpg tho im sure it wont be as good as it could cause im still learning the clutch. still gotta bleed the clutch system and hopefully thats why its harder to go in 1st gear..

Old 10-12-2007, 02:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: i think my speedsensor might be going bad. what do you think?

Are you learning how to drive stick too? Well, we're in the same boat.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM
June 2010 ROTM

well, it's your speedo sensor IF both the odometer and the speedometer are not working at the same time. Otherwise it's your cluster.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i drove a old 86crx manual for awhole winter just fine. but it was a cable driven tranny so it was easier to find that sweet clutch spot. im preaty sure my main problem with it jumping in 1st gear is the clutch needs bleed... in every other gear its more forgiving... but that 1st gear it just wants to jump the car hardcore! i either have to preaty much burn the clutch until im going ruffly 5mph... to keep it from jumping its easier to leave in 2nd gear...

just sucks how i keep finding these bad things about the car.LOL i swear eventualy it will be good...LMFAO
i wonder how much that sucker costs

tho one good thing is a old friend here has a 95civic ex and he wants his civic lowered and i want mine stock height... so we talking about swaping struts that would be preaty sweet.... just have to pull mine all off, then have him come over to pull his and put mine on his car car.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

yeah bro i drive a 95 ex stick and my speedometer is like that too, my odometer doesnt work either. it only reads 65k miles on it when that deffinatly isnt true

Old 10-13-2007, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

My dad owns a 97 Civic Lx 5spd. and he had the same problem speedometer sometimes wouldnt work and when it don't work milagedon't move.. Just replace the speedometer and you should be fine. I got mine for $15.00 at a junk yard and it works fine.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

is thier a difference from these sensors?
i checked dealership and he said thiers 2 of them....... with a certain letter ontop of it BUT i painted my tranny so i have no idea which letter it has.LOL
im tempted to just buy from ebay one for like 30bucks or so instead of the dealership and autoparts store for around 100bucks!

im just not sure if the part is the same with all 5speeds..... id asume the automatic and manuals would be different... anyone know what the difference is between the two? i dont want to buy the wrong part!!!!!!!
my tranny is from a DX or whatever instead of a EX BUT the guy SAID he rebuilt it with the EX parts BUT im not sure realy. i just want to be able to check my milage correctly.LOL and see my speed at times.....

it mainly doesnt work when the car is cold...... then i go about 45mph or so and it pops up working.... and oftenly kicks back out and on and off for abit..... but when warmed up it seems to work fine....

Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM
HCF Member

Your project car looks to be the same as mine...here's the info off the top of my sensor.....I just read that your tranny is different...so maybe I am of no assistance /sigh...oh well I tried

78410-SV4 (I believe this is the critical info)
EWTR4A
3D271

They appear on the sensor in that order, but looking at the parts sites, the SV4 part is what matters.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok cool... i bid on one on ebay..........
i REALY hope this fixes the problem!!!