General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ignition tune up service and a few maint. questions - 2000 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Default ignition tune up service and a few maint. questions - 2000 Civic LX

Hello fellow members. I am helping a friend out with his 2000 Honda Civic LX 5 speed. I could use your expertise and recommendations of tune up parts that are of good quality, long life and value. I have been looking at autohausaz.com for the car and I have seen brands like bosch, denso, ngk, and OES. What are your recommendations for the following. If you have part numbers, all the better!

- Spark Plugs
- Ignition Wires
- Distributor Cap
- Distributor Cap Rotor

Keep in mind, that this car is not a tuner. It is all stock and we have no plans of making it a tuner in the near-term.

For the manual transmission flush, I was going to head to the honda dealer and get 2 quarts of the special fluid that they sell and two sealing rings for the filler and drain plugs.

For the brake service, I am planning on using a mityvac to flush out the old fluid as i replenish with fresh fluid. Does these cars take DOT3 synthetic or is it special stuff. I don't believe this car has ABS. Any precautions/words of advice?

I am not planning on doing the water pump or timing belt. He is going to take it to a shop to have that done at a later date.

I really appreciate your feedback!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 PM
HCF Member

ngk spark plugs, autozone will tell you what plugs exactly, but get the cheaper one's, they're oem

any wire will do, but if you can get the blue ngk wires, you'll probably never have to replace them again

get honda distributor cap and rotor

not sure on the brakes, but honda mtf will work. I just bought some amsoil mtf, also heard good things about pennzoil mtf

and you might as well do an oil change. Mobil 1 full synthetic or pennzoil ultra are my suggestions.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Thanks so much for the information. Is there an online parts warehouse that stocks the honda brand distributor and rotor or is this dealer only?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 AM
HCF Member

IMHO, stick with OEM ignition parts. Unless the plug wires are cracked or otherwise have problems I would save the money on replacing them. At that age I usually carry a spare coil in the trunk as well because I've been stranded too many times by that part. NGK plugs.

I want to say my transmission took more than 2 quarts. The fill bolt is in a tight spot and a challenge to loosen if you dont have articulating tools.

I would just use honda brake fluid. It was pretty reasonably priced at my dealer.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The transmission holds just over 2 quarts. Loosen the fill bolt from underneath, then return the car to a level position so you can fill it properly. With the car level, put in as much as it will take before fluid starts running back out the fill hole.

Avoid aftermarket spark wires. Many just don't work, or have a very short life. Discounted OEM parts can be ordered from several dealers online, I use hondaautomotiveparts.com.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 PM

I have used non-OEM distributor caps with no problem. Autozone Duralast whatevers are fine for daily driving purposes.

I can personally vouch for aftermarket spark plug wires sucking hardcore. I have owned a 2000 LX for 6 years and have gone through 2 sets of wires.

Brakes will be fine with DOT3 synthetic. That's what I'm running now with no problems.