General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Illegal In-Dash Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:03 AM
Default Illegal In-Dash Monitors

I live in Fresno, California and I think living in Cali sometimes sucks. Well at least the rules and regulations of our state suck. I was just pulled over for having an in-dash monitor in my car (this is not the first time I've been pulled over either, and probably not the last). I'm getting sick of these CHP guys thinking of more stupider reasons to pull me over. The man said I was not allowed to have a monitor in the front because it is an obstruction of view. He said I was allowed to have the ones in the back but not in the front. If anyone knows anything about this being illegal, Please let me know.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:37 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Illegal In-Dash Monitors

its perfectly legal as long as it cant play movies or anything while the car is moving. if its just showing a graphic or a navigation screen, its ok. if it can play a movie while moving, its illegal. most have a lock on the parking brake to keep it from playing movies unless its engaged.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:40 AM
HCF Member

wait. where is it mounted? is it an in-dash? maybe post a pic of how it is mounted. that can make a bit of a difference.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:44 AM

Yes, it is 100% legal to have it in your car and 100% illegal to watch movies on it while in motion. Pioneer got sued by a family about a year ago when they were involved in an accident and the other driver had a screen in his 4runner with the movie "Road Trip" in it. Pioneer got very lucky that the family had the screen removed from the car for evidence and the judge threw it out because noone could prove if the safety had been bypassed since it was tampered with. Thats why Pioneer has changed their safety and all will soon follow and it will be tough to bypass.

I was sitting at a stoplight the other day with a movie playing and barely noticed a cop rolling up to my right and hit the nav button in the nick of time. Since then I am nervouse about the ticket.

Have you recieved a ticket for it yet? IF so how much?

Old 06-19-2005, 01:51 AM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

wait. where is it mounted? is it an in-dash? maybe post a pic of how it is mounted. that can make a bit of a difference.
True but I dont know of any civics where it would mount where it could be considdered obstruction

Old 06-19-2005, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

Yes, it is 100% legal to have it in your car and 100% illegal to watch movies on it while in motion.
Don't you have to get a black market chip or something to get in dash screens to play movies? As for obstruction of view, that is the biggest load of bull I've heard. What about their 12 gauges just sitting upright in the front of their patrol cars "obstructing" their view. And those computers they have too. Cops, some really need to get a life. I can imagine Fresno would be five-O nightmare. Good luck with everything

Old 06-19-2005, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Mad7s

Yes, it is 100% legal to have it in your car and 100% illegal to watch movies on it while in motion.
Don't you have to get a black market chip or something to get in dash screens to play movies?
No, it is actually quite easy

Old 06-19-2005, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

yeah, but im thinking its possible it was one of those portable dvd players just sitting on the dash. then it could be considered an obstruction.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:36 PM

I thought of that and quickly discarded the idea because of the title of the thread being in-dash. If so it could be considered that though.

Old 06-19-2005, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

yeah, i didnt actually register the title till just now, so yeah, its probably not the case.

Quick Reply: Illegal In-Dash Monitors