General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Importing a Civic Type-R to the U.S.A.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Default Importing a Civic Type-R to the U.S.A.

He folks, new to the forums and already i'm frothing at the mouth over CTR's.

I've been considering buying a couple cars for some time now. A Supra Mark IV (any year, IF i can find one cheap), an Integra (Type-R or damm near close otherwise), or a new Civic Si. I'm not looking to build a drag car, but just something to add parts to over time to get something fun to drive.

To save time, and more importantly money, I have two questions:

A) Is it possible to import a Civic Type-R?
B) If Yes: How much does it cost (typically), where can i get my hands on some of that goodness, and will it be 'road ready'

Basically, would it cost the same to swap a domestic SI engine with a one from a RSX-S as it would to import a CTR?

Old 07-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Default RE: Importing a Civic Type-R to the U.S.A.

Importing cars isn't the cheapest thing, unless your'e in the military. They'll help pay to ship your car back to the States if you bought one in another country. I'be heard it's cheaper to have the car cut in half, have it shipped and and reassemble here. Not sure why but that's what I've heard. Saw a guy that bought a Skyline GTR in Japan and had it shipped to Cali. You may be better off doing a swap.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:32 PM

Importing cars isn't the cheapest thing, unless your'e in the military. They'll help pay to ship your car back to the States if you bought one in another country. I'be heard it's cheaper to have the car cut in half, have it shipped and and reassemble here. Not sure why but that's what I've heard. Saw a guy was in the military that bought a Skyline GTR in Japan and had it shipped to Cali. You may be better off doing a swap.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:16 AM
HCF Member

Yes the military will ship it back for free (im in the military), but you will still have to pay to have it converted. That will still run you about another 8-grand or so. The process and terms of having it here are incredibly insane. Honestly, just buy a JDM motor and swap it in because the headaches arent worth it.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

unless you got the green[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 07-22-2005, 01:13 PM

^ yeah what he said.

If you know someone in Canada you might get it imported to them, have them register it in Canada and then import it to the states and get it registered here.

Yeah I know...it's a huge pain in the @$$. But still less than making a CTR meet US lighting, safety, and emission standards and then welding in side intrusion beams into the doors

Old 07-22-2005, 05:59 PM

So, it would seem that importing a genuine CTR is, in comparison to making one out of a Si, unecessarily over expensive. Hooray for another failed dream.

I've been doing a decent amout on mag and web reading about this, and from what I can gather, Honda/Acura seems to have decided the USA is not a Type-R market. Would that be a pretty good guess?

And what with Toyota dropping the supra in 98, and the Celica in 2k5, it looks like there really aren't a whole lot of options out there for factory stock performance cars anymore (well, IMHO, of excellent quality. I'd drop dead before buying a Ford)

Old 07-24-2005, 04:08 PM
HCF Member

In the UK a CTR costs new £17000. There is one for sale 2nd hand down the road from me its a 2003 and its £11995. Not a bad deal. Not sure how much they are in Japan though.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:25 PM
HCF Member

And what with Toyota dropping the supra in 98, and the Celica in 2k5, it looks like there really aren't a whole lot of options out there for factory stock performance cars anymore (well, IMHO, of excellent quality. I'd drop dead before buying a Ford)
what about Mitsubishi and Subaru? they each have a beast on their dealer showroom floors.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Well, here's why I won't buy a Mitsubishi. I see them regularly in the tranny shop my old man owns. And a rebuilt tranny on a stock eclipse is NOT CHEAP, nor is it on any other car for that matter. Money aside, i am hesitant to ever put that kind of trust in a vehichle i seen in the shop a lot.

I'm not sure we see a lot of Subaru's, so i guess the WRX? is an option.

What I think it'll eventually bouil down to is how i fit in them. Being 6'4", it narrows my choices as far as cars go, and sport compacts for sure. I know for a fact i have been able to fit into civics before, its just they lack the seat adjustment options that would truely make me comfortable (a fact i'm willing to overlook because they, like toyotas, run forever and are damm good cars).

I've been considering the VW 1.8t or VR6, the Civic Si, A Celica (if i can find a manual) or an RSX-S, and recently a Scion (the tC i think, or whatever their coup is). Because i'm relatively new to the concept of this kind of car, mainly because i've never been able to afford one, i know so little about them. What I do know is Honda, Toyota (and i'm assuming Scion since Toyota makes them) are great cars and have a pretty good aftermarket for parts (not so much the scions, or am I wrong?) IMHO, VW's are either way, i've heard good things about their cars, except the new beetles (but i'm not looking at those so who cares).....

the dillema continues.

Quick Reply: Importing a Civic Type-R to the U.S.A.