General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Default Issue...

I just got my 1st car almost a month ago, i got a 1995 honda civic dx. ive been driving it for a while and noticed that it burns oil, and it also blows out a big puff of white/grey smoke when it shifts while im accelerating quickly.. it also seems to shift a little hard. i was told it could be my PCV valve/hose, so i replaced the PCV valve but autozone said id have to go to a dealership to get the hose.. so im getting that tomorrow. i drove it for maybe 10mins after i replaced the PCV valve and it seemed to be shifting a tad better, but it would still smoke on the shift when im accelerating quickly. any suggestions on what i should try? thanks.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Typically a worn engine will smoke like that. You can keep driving as long as you don't let it run out of oil. The only cure though is to rebuild or replace the engine. Since it's already worn out, switch to a heavier oil like 10W40 or 20W50 (the "you need a new motor motor oil"). It won't burn as much.

The PCV valve doesn't affect shifting of an automatic. The first thing to try there is to change the fluid. Use only Honda ATF. Do not use ordinary Dexron transmission fluid.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Typically a worn engine will smoke like that. You can keep driving as long as you don't let it run out of oil. The only cure though is to rebuild or replace the engine. Since it's already worn out, switch to a heavier oil like 10W40 or 20W50 (the "you need a new motor motor oil"). It won't burn as much.

The PCV valve doesn't affect shifting of an automatic. The first thing to try there is to change the fluid. Use only Honda ATF. Do not use ordinary Dexron transmission fluid.
dammit, i thought you would say that. what type of engine would you recommend i get? i already planned on doing an engine swap soon anyways. i was looking at vtec and i-vtec motors earlier and i thought for the price id go with a vtec since most of the i-vtec's seem to be a bit out of my range. i was looking for one that has around 180 HP.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
HCF Member

just save up for the motor you want you dont have to change the motor right now just change th oil to 10w40 and for the trans change the transmission fluid and put some trans honey they have that at any auto parts store or walmart. just do that stuff. o ya that trans honey is for smoother shifs.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1992 civic driver
just save up for the motor you want you dont have to change the motor right now just change th oil to 10w40 and for the trans change the transmission fluid and put some trans honey they have that at any auto parts store or walmart. just do that stuff. o ya that trans honey is for smoother shifs.
damn i didnt even put that it was shifting hard, you know your **** lol.. yeah it does shift kinda hard every now and then. thanks alot for the help, i really appreciate it. would you recommend i go ahead and fix this civic up or get a manual? its my 1st car and i barely have any experience with manuals. i just dont want to put all this money into it and then end up selling it to get a manual.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:13 AM
HCF Member

you should probably just sell it and get a manual, unless you got the cash for an engine swap. Manual swaps are arent hard and are cheap.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by croninc
you should probably just sell it and get a manual, unless you got the cash for an engine swap. Manual swaps are arent hard and are cheap.
how much money would we be looking at?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Manual swap is not complicated, it's all bolt-on. It's best to have a wrecked manual car to strip for parts though or it's going to be expensive rounding up all the pats.

I wouldn't put any substance other than Honda ATF into an automatic. They're fickle about that.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 AM
HCF Member

im 14 and im working on my first car to. lol. if its a nice car like nice paint no rust good interier just stuff like that keep it do what i said to do and just use it if you want a manual car later on then sell this one later just keep it. o ya seafoam as a transfix product works very good i did it to my dad jeep amazing. run that in till shifting gets better then change the thans fluid then put that thans honey that i was talking about. just keep the car save up money then go from their. hope i helped.