General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

it's a bad bad day... my car totalled

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: what to do now?

Did you already have the car payed off? I know with most places, if you finance a car you are required by law to have full coverage insurance. I know I have to maintain it on my 05 Civic.

Sorry about the crash. Always sucks to lose a car.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

dito with car paid off.... ur suposed to have fullcoverage... tho im guilty myself when i had my truck for only having liability but it only had like 3K bucks left on the trucks loan..

i wish you luck...

Old 01-18-2008, 01:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: it's a bad bad day... my car totalled

ORIGINAL: love2cul8r

unfortunately i don't have full coverage - only liability... i know, i know... stupid stupid.... what were the chances?!?! i never thought I'd need it.
To have liability insurance your car must been paid off already...Hope you win but it seems very unlikely...Good Luck

For all you people who don't know here in Cali youmust have full coverage to get a car loan...After is been paid off you get what ever you want. liability, uninsured motorist, etc

Old 01-18-2008, 06:23 PM

dam dude that sucks

Old 01-18-2008, 07:32 PM

Are you planning to get a newer car or are you going to get a older model this time? The damage looks horrible, sorry man

Old 01-19-2008, 12:31 AM

hey Civic Si 00 - i actually still have half the car to pay off (about 13 grand) and do not have full coverage and I live in los angeles.... i got the loan from capital one. will be calling them soon to get my pink slip and decide where to go from there...

as for a new ride? i'm looking up used cars on craigslist for now... trying to decide, maybe lease a car? maybe buy a used car? those '06 - '07 scion tc's lookin pretty good...

also, i talked to two lawyers because my insurance agency (PROGRESSIVE) wants to say it's my fault and just pay for the damage to the other car - it's like they honestly don't give a crap!! they're saying the case is cut and dry, that i was making a left turn and i have to yield to oncoming traffic and that the other guy denies making a left and was going straight the whole time. so then i told the insurance agent that i will want to take this to court and instead of helping me, she was basically trying to convince me that the accident is my fault. PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE SUX!!!!! [sm=chairshot.gif] I'm canceling with them tomorrow and switching to another company when i get a new ride!! Not only that, I had to keep calling the agent to follow-up with what was going on with my claim - damn she was slow and L-A-Z-Y............. she was practically yelling at me over the phone!! Isn't my insurance company suppose to at least try to help me out?? anyhow, now the problem is finding a witness... it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack... i'll have to see what happens....

anyhow again thanks for the posts and for reading my rants...

Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 AM

I'm surprised you were able to switch to liability. I had to sign a contract with the Honda dealer that did my financing promising that my 08 Civic EX Coupe will be under full coverage until the loan is paid off.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:46 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: love2cul8r

hey Civic Si 00 - i actually still have half the car to pay off (about 13 grand) and do not have full coverage and I live in los angeles.... i got the loan from capital one. will be calling them soon to get my pink slip and decide where to go from there...
Well ....Capital 1 must be a bunch of retards...Most of the banks won't give you a loan with out a full coverage since the car hasn't been paid off. i been with All-sate and they have been treating me great..Been with them for over 4 yrs. My dad and I are together to get a family discount thing and if you let someone drive the car with a license and don't have the same address and crashes the car still gets cover even if you have liability or uninsured motorist.
Couple of months ago my dad was involved in a small hit on his truck. He was not at fault.They fixed the truck NO DEDUCTIBLE ..no premium increase and ALL-State sent the other guy to collection for claiming he had insurance and since I had his info he got screwed.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It is very unusual for a finance company to not require collision and comp. insurance. This is not something that is required by law, rather it is not prohibited by law. So in the spirit of taking everything that they can get away with, companies always include that requirement in the finance contract.

Another thing that is usually in a finance contract is a clause that in case the car is stolen or totaled, they have the right to call the entire loan due instead of the usual monthly payments.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:15 PM

forgot to answer mk378's question earlier but yes, the airbags did deploy (driver's airbag in stearing wheel, and the curtains on the passenger side)...

as for Capital One, I will check the contract and see if there is indeed a clause stating that if the car is totalled (in my case) will they call the entire loan due instead of the usual monthly payments... that makes sense to me and wow, i'd be so so screwed... . I'm sure it's possible that they will not release the pink slip to me until I fully pay off the car in which case i could have a little more time to come up with the 13 grand. I'll be calling them to discuss my options obviously.

Eclipse 2K - i do believe if you took out a loan from the dealership - it's reasonable that they'd make you agree to full coverage until the car is paid off... this was not my case.

as for me - i applied for the capital one first and got approved for "x" amount of money that i said would go towards a purchase of a new car. then i took about three months searching to buy my car... and after i bought the car w/ the loan, i lastly got the car insurance. so if capital one did state somewhere in their contract that they required i got full coverage on my new car purchase - then i guess i'll be just a little more screwed - but again they are holding my pink slip. and they sure didn't check up on me to make sure that i got full coverage. either way... it just kills me a little more each day that i've lost my new car... these days just doesn't get any better dealing w/ the headache of needing to find another car to get to work or at least to the nearest metro station here in LA... and having to figure out how to pay off a car that is now a ginormous paperweight. man this sux. [sm=headbang.gif]

again - thanks for the information guys...

Quick Reply: it's a bad bad day... my car totalled