General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

its been awhile

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:17 AM

Spark plugs are MAD easy. You carefully yank the plug wires off, put a spark plug tool down there on an extender with a ratchet, lefty loosy, pull it out. The new ones should be pre-gapped correctly, but make sure the gap is .044 with a spark plug gap tool. (It's round and flat, you see them stacked at the register at auto zone all the time.) Installation is reverse of removal. Stick the new plug in the socket, put it into the hole, righty tighty but not too tight, its optional to use that anti-seize goop they have by the register but I've used it and it's some good stuff. Put the plug wires back in and you're good.

And yeah, the timing belt spins. That's kinda part of the reason its there. It can jump teeth if the belt tensioner is worn out. Recheck the timing, make sure it's still right. If it has jumped a tooth and it jumps more, you risk engine damage.

If you don't feel confident with belts just have a shop do it. They all have a life span. Your car is 12 years old. If things haven't been changed yet, or only changed once, they might be due again.

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 02-12-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:27 AM
HCF Member

^ Twist the plug wire. That will help break it loose so the wire doesn't pull out from the boot

Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by chrismag
ok thank,
and welfedhobo, you just made me feel incredible stupid, i know it spins, what i ment to ask was what you had answerd already thank you,
lol, sorry

i dont have a spark plug tool do i need to get one?
It's commercially available. I'd recommend it. What makes the tool different is that it's like a normal socket, but it has a rubber washer inside that grips the spark plug. Otherwise, it would be HARD to get it out of the engine. Walmart, Autozone, Advance, etc. have them. Shouldn't be too expensive. I've noticed that there seem to be different sizes of spark plug sockets. I bought one to use on my mom's Dodge van and it wouldn't work on the Honda. Had to get a different one. If you go to Autozone or somewhere, they'll give you the plugs you need. You can take one out of the box and look for the tool that'll fit it.

how can i check to see if my timing belt has jumped teeth???

and what should i put the timing at?

do i need a light to do that? can i do it my self?
I wish we had a DIY on changing a timing belt. Here's a thread that comes pretty damn close to being a DIY. https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=75871 and yes, you need a timing light. Check the manual too. It's available at www.hondatech.info