General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I've got a fun day tomorrow....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 PM
HCF Member
Default I've got a fun day tomorrow....

I've got quite a few things I'm going to doto my car tomorrow:

A. Its messy inside. Must clean. ASAP.

B. Fix my domelight.
I finally decided to break down and get a new light for my dome light, It hasn't worked since I got the car, but the light looked fine, so I assumed it was the switch, got a new light, works fine now). Problem is, I never jumped my stereo harness wires so that the dome light comes on when the doors are open. Gotta fix that.

C. I thought up a decently brilliant way of wiring my foglights.
I'm going to tap into the wire that powers all the internal lights that turn on when the headlights are turned on before they get fused(like hazard light, defrost light, the heater control lights, cruise control light etc.) then run up to the power my foglight switch. I'm trying to make my headlight switch something of a master kill switch for my foglights. I can leave the switch on, and they will go off with the rest of the lights, or I can have the option to leave them off, or whatever. Having to switch both the headlights and the foglights on is a minor annoyance.

Should take me a half an hour max depending on how hard it is to find the wire I need for my foglights. Anyone else have plans for tomorrow or this weekend?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I've got a fun day tomorrow....

nothing big just going to ropongi but good luck on wiring those lights

Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 AM
HCF Member

Thanks. It shouldn't be too bad. I started out by finding the schematics I needed, and after quite a bit of debate, we decided that hooking it up to the wire that powers the inside lights before they are fused was pretty much the only way. Between someone in IT and two electrical engineers, I think we got it. :P

I was originally thinking of tapping the headlight power, but no, if I turned on my brights my foglightswould go out or vise versa if Ihooked it upto the brights.Brake lights wouldn't work, license plates light looked promising, and would probably be my second choice. The issue there isthat it is fused with the brakes.

I found my wire last night. I just need to tap it, test it, andand run the wire to my switch if everything works out.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:32 AM
HCF Member

i hate wiring, its not my cup of tea. good luck anyways.

This weekend, im going to install my friends skunk2 shifter and my other friends 240sx that we've been working on for a month.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:04 AM
HCF Member

I love wiring. :P
Then again, I like building computers too, so yeah....

Nice, I've been considering getting a short shifter for ages, I almost got one, but I ended up getting springs instead, but I doubt I'll be able to get those in til my spring break.What year is the 240sx? My brother has a '98. Its freaking nice! Gotta love RWD

Booyah. Everything worked out quite nicely. One slight annoyance with wiring my foglights though, when I arm/disarm my alarm, my foglights flash if the switch is on. It can't really be helped, but it didn't cross my mind before I did it. Eh, oh well.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 AM
HCF Member

goodluck on what you're doing, hope everything goes as planned

Old 02-29-2008, 10:37 AM
HCF Member

Thanks. Everything went perfectly. The hardest parts were taking out my stereo and removing the panel under the steering wheel. So yeah, very easy. :P

Old 02-29-2008, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

good, you shouldve taken pics, and showed us the progress

Old 02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

where you taping into? i hope your using a relay that gets power from the fuse box!
fog lights pull quite a bit of power! they will also eventualy blow your alarms parking light output fuse after awhile. been their done that. you have to wire up some relays and some diodes....

i wired up my fog lights to come on with the parking lights.
also be sure everything is fused properly!

if your used to computers id think youd know how to wire up some diodes and such to have them how ya like.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

i think i have everyone beat so far i think.....i got a really loose timing belt and i think thats causing my car not to start so i have a fun day tomm of tearing down and looking around.....

Quick Reply: I've got a fun day tomorrow....