General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Jiffy Lube Timing Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:44 PM
HCF Member
Default Jiffy Lube Timing Belt Question

Will jiffy lube tell u if ur timing belt needs to be changed? Do i have to ask them if they need to specifically worry about it. Im only asking cuz i was reading that if it hasnt been changed it could snap and be bad so I wanted to know if they would know anything about it. Would it cost for the honda dealer to just look at it, and if there isnt a warranty.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Default RE: Jiffy Lube Timing Belt Question

first things first.... if ur belt hasnt been changed for 60k miles 70 is ur timing belt is a honda. then u dont need to worry about it. and take your car to a performance garage dude.. dont be cheap about your engine.. be cheap about body work and like bolt ons.. dont be cheap when it comes to the life of ur car.. aint worth the price to pay after its done. jiffy lube is garbage. they didnt put enuf oil in this 1 guys civics. he spun his barring. if u live in california look this place up.

www.speedoracle.com

Old 06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
HCF Member

IL sorry. But idk any real performance shops in my area. And idk how to go about replacing a timing belt. Do i order one and have em put it on? Are there like name brand belts.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:51 AM
HCF Member

jiffy lube only does oil changes...They don't do serious mechanical work. Ask around, ask some of your friends or ppl you know where they take their cars to. A timing belt IS important, so make sure you get it done at the proper time (60k miles or so). Goodyear makes good belts, but make sure you get a decent mechanic to do the job.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:08 AM
HCF Member

well, a new timing belt from Honda will cost you around $50
Dont worry about any brands, stick with OEM
and changing the timing belt isnt exactly "hard" its just time consuming and a hassle.
Just go to Honda, buy the timing belt package, it comes with a water pump, timing belt, seals and everything.
Then your set, just find some mechanic place to put it all on

Old 06-23-2007, 05:11 AM
mxs
HCF Member

how many miles on your car?

Old 06-23-2007, 06:03 AM

Two summers ago I had the timing belt replaced on my ex's '96 EX and it cost a grand total of $177 for timing belt replacement at a VERY reputable Honda-only shop. Personally I would avoid Jiffy Lube at all costs. Those places hire people with no experience and offer little training. Way back when I had my Fiero I took it to one of those speed oil-change shops and you should have seenthe look on their faces when they opened up the hood to find storage!When I saw they didn't know where the engine was thatwas it! I wasoutta there!

Old 06-23-2007, 07:46 AM
HCF Member

Use a HONDA bent and a HONDA water pump. The dealer will charge you like 5-600 to change the belt, BUT its worth it, because they give you some sort of warrenty.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:59 AM
HCF Member

if i were u id try to find a japanese repair shop in the area. honda dealer can refer to one if you cant find it. but make sure they will put in a honda belt. i wouldnt go to jiffy lube if my life depended on it. i used to work for a vehicle inspection co .. jiffy lube was a main client .. wouldnt believe how maybe engines they have ruined.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:37 PM
HCF Member

Ive got 123XXX miles on it , close to 124XXX and im due for an oil change around then. Idk when it was changed before that.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube Timing Belt Question