General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Jiffy Lube Timing Belt Question

Old 06-24-2007, 09:07 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Jiffy Lube Timing Belt Question

I thought it had to be changed at 100,000 miles? im at 70,000, should i be thinking about it too?

Old 06-25-2007, 03:25 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

typically they sat 105,000 miles or 7 years. Time can actually take a bigger toll on the belt that actual mileage. You're both driving EJ's, so obviously they're 7 years or older, get those belts/pumps swapped

Old 06-25-2007, 04:18 PM
HCF Member

Will there be an increase in performance

Old 06-25-2007, 04:55 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: phan10m

I doubt it. The timing belt is just a belt, the only reason you need to change it is because the rubber gets weak over time and with lots of use. If you don't change it, the belt can snap at any time and ruin the engine. If you are looking for a performance shop in IL, I can prolly find out for you since I know some people that are into the modding scene. However, there really isn't a good reason to take your car to an performance shop to have the timing belt changed. I know that One-6 motorsports and Driver's Image (supposdly ricer city) are two performance shops. I believe that One-6 specializes in Hondas and Acuras. Driver's Image is more rice and less performance from what I've heard.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:20 PM
mxs
HCF Member

like compared to it breaking, and your engine not running at all? [8D]

Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

I doubt it. The timing belt is just a belt, the only reason you need to change it is because the rubber gets weak over time and with lots of use. If you don't change it, the belt can snap at any time and ruin the engine. If you are looking for a performance shop in IL, I can prolly find out for you since I know some people that are into the modding scene. However, there really isn't a good reason to take your car to an performance shop to have the timing belt changed. I know that One-6 motorsports and Driver's Image (supposdly ricer city) are two performance shops. I believe that One-6 specializes in Hondas and Acuras. Driver's Image is more rice and less performance from what I've heard.
Thx man. You should come up to Streets of Woodfield some night or, Strats, at 83 and North Ave. Well ill be saving the money up for a new timing belt over I/H/E i guess

Old 06-26-2007, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

Thx man. You should come up to Streets of Woodfield some night or, Strats, at 83 and North Ave. Well ill be saving the money up for a new timing belt over I/H/E i guess
From what I've heard about SOW, its mostly just a bunch of rich kid douche bags (I personally know 1 or 2) so I stay away. Plus, me showing up in my uber-****ty Ninja 250 with my Honda motorcycle jacket would make look like a moron. Maybe after I get my CBR I'll go some time, SOW is like 15 min from my house. Timing belt is like $200 and you could do the labor yourself if you know what you are doing. One of the stations at the competition was to install the timing belt on an engine. Granted the engine was not in the car and all the accessories were pulled off, it was pretty easy. Line up the pulleys with the marks for TDC. Place belt and tighten tensioner. I had never done it before but i was able to complete it without a problem. The only difference b/w what I had to do and what you will have to do is that you have the remove the all the stuff that is in the way of the belt and pulley.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

O, well im not that experienced to do all that myself. But today when i started her up something sounded like it was squeaking every time it turned at a certain point. Then later it was fine.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 PM
HCF Member

I just got mine done at a honda garage recently. It was a little more expensive than the estimate from my reg mechanic ($400) Honda place $500. But I took into consideration that I get a new water pump, A/C belt, coolant flushed, and valves adjusted at the honda place.

If you don't have the veteran know how, it's worth the money to get it done right. And it's usually a one time thing.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:12 AM
HCF Member

But today when i started her up something sounded like it was squeaking every time it turned at a certain point. Then later it was fine.
Maybe a slipping PS pump belt. Check all your belts and make sure they are good. You might as well have all the accessory belts changed while they have it opened up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube Timing Belt Question