General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Kill Switch to kill a Thief

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Kill Switch to kill a Thief

Do not rig boobytraps. They are highly illegal and a good chance of hurting you or some innocent person like a friend, relative, police officer or rescue person. If they do hurt a potential thief, he will sue you and get your car anyway fair and square as well as most other things that you own.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ive thought of several ideas.....
none are perfect but just ideas ive thought about doing to my car...

first one simple fuel pump kill switch. hide it away real good!!!

another thing ive thought about doing is some type of deadbolt system... they sell them for suicide doors which is realy simple! just a power lock motor and a pin. typicaly a deadbolt thing for the doors.
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...cessories-pane

of course i wouldnt pay that much! you can buy a cheap @ss aftermarket door lock motor and some hardware...

thats what the autoloc model looks like. simple door lock actuator on a pivet joint that slides a pin over.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95...spagenameZWDVW

tho youd want to use a hardened rod tho. the rod that comes with these cheap motors isnt hardened at all so someone could still rip the door open.
then ya just drill a hole in the door to poke the rod thru and another hole into the rear door area for the pin to go into and catch.
you can put the lock inside the door or inside the car itself just as long as the rod and touch the door.
tho main problem would be figuring out how to have the deadbolt ENGAGE!
my idea is use the power door lock wiring to activate the factory door lock and the the deadbolt shaft. but use a keyless entry system and some diodes to unlock the factory door locks and the deadbolt setup. this way they couldnt open the door. they would just ASSUME they didnt unlock the factory lock. [8D]

and for a thief every second counts! its the meaning of a clean get away and geting caught and possibly shot!

but your best protection is "Full coverage insurance"!!!!!

only then do you have a guaranteed recovery/payout... cause all it takes to steal a car is a simple TOW TRUCK which is available everywhere to buy if ya got the cash!
and you could make a sign that says REPO Agent. and when people see a car getting towed away they will laugh thinking your not paying your bill when they are really stealing the car in plain sight!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

1. Get a good alarm. I havea Compustar alarm with triple sirens (****ing loud)and an ignition relay that when the alarm is armed, if an attempt is made to steal the car like turning the ignition switch (even with a key), it will sever the starter wire and immobilize the car. This is a great theft deterrant.

2. Remove the fuel pump fuse from the box by the pedals. I do this when I'm parking in a real bad part of town...the engine will crank, but it will not start without the fuse. Just do NOT lose the fuse, lol

Old 02-05-2008, 04:37 PM
HCF Member

i have a fuel pump kill switch and it saved my car from being boosted, they pushed the car into the alley thinking they could start it and nobody would hear but they couldnt start it cuz no gas! cost me under 5 bucks and only 5 mins to install. you gotta hide it real well though. now i have a 2way alarm and it hasnt been messed with.

ps- having lots of switched for leds and stuff helps too cuz thieves waste time hitting those switches hoping its the kill switch.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Cereal Admin

how about this:
1) alarm
2) fuel cutoff switch
3) kill switch
4) plexi windows
5) shaved door handles
6) Quick-release steering wheel (club? We don't need no stinkin' club! lol)
7) shift lock

makes it kind of hard to steal a car the old fashioned way when you can't get into the damned thing... and let's face it... if they bring a flatbed, you're SOL no matter what.

I've always wanted to hook a car battery right up to one of the body panels, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal for about 90 bajillion reasons lmao

*edit: forgot #6 and #7

Old 02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

about to say... shaved door handles. those can also a PITA if ya have a problem as well.... i know that FIRST HAND!

i will never shave any more door handles! a simple fuse blowing or dead battery or linkage slipage and not even you can get in. [:@]

needless to say after a few problems i bought a backup side window, so i could just smash out the window and pop the spare in and go....

Old 02-05-2008, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

What about a non-lethal approach? Something that incapacitates the thief. Knock him out with some tranquilizers or something.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:01 PM
HCF Member

Unfortunately, tranquilizers aren't readily available. Funny how its easier to buy bullets than to get some tranqs.

In any case, If they're trying to steal the car out of my driveway, they'll be getting a .30-06 round through the chest.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 PM
HCF Member

I did some research and came across an immobilizer system called Ravelco ($450). It's been around since the mid 1970's, and they claim that no one has ever been able to steal a car with the unit installed. I have to be skeptical, but I did read about it and it seems like it would be a bitch to bypass. It basically re-wires all the critical ignition components into a little combination mechanism that only you have the circuit key to, and then protects the wires with armor plating.

The other option is installing a LoJack ($600), but then you have to rely on cops to find your car, and in the hours/days that might take, there might not be much of a car left.

Bottom line though if you've put your heart into building your car $450 is really not that much to ensure that it stays yours. Have you guys heard of this Ravelco system before? Or has anyone had to make use of a LoJack system before?

I'm paranoid my car is going to get jacked... I'm in the middle of Los Angeles in the ghetto [sm=badidea.gif] (Note: 90% of Los Angeles is a ghetto)

Old 02-07-2008, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

Another simple way to prevent thieves from breaking in with a coat hanger or something is to disconnect the lock lever/button from the mechanism so that even if they flip open the lever or push the button with a coat hanger it won't do anything. Note that this is only still convenient to you if you have keyless entry, otherwise it would be a PITA to unlock your doors to let your friend in or something like that.

Quick Reply: Kill Switch to kill a Thief