General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Late 100k tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 AM
HCF Member
Default Late 100k tune-up

When I got my 2005 Honda Civic LX a year ago, it was at 109k miles, today it is at just about 120k. I have no idea when my car last received a tune-up, or any kind of major maintenance. When it was inspected in June, my mechanic said it is probably time to replace the timing belt, and there is a small transmission leak. I'll let my dad worry about those fixes, since it is technically his car and paying for the labor may be a lot.

What I want to do myself is the cheaper stuff, like replacing spark plugs. I see from shopping online that theres copper, platinum, and iridium, the latter being the most expensive. Is it worth it to spend some extra money on the iridium ones? I only drive 10,000 a year, a lot of city driving.

I also wanted to ask, what other cheap things are there that I can replace for a tune-up?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:55 AM

Iridium is not necessary. These coatings on the spark plugs allow them to last longer, that's all. I usually run NGK's. Air filter, oil change, brake fluid change are all simple maintenance items.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 AM

Don't forget to replace your cabin filter! We pulled my buddy's filter out the other day... I was wondering why his car was so dusty.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 AM
HCF Member

Just changed the cabin air filter a week ago. Lots of bugs wedged in there! Also changed the oil and oil filter a week ago.

Brake fluid is a good one. Is it easy to change the transmission fluid and filter at home, or is that a shop-only sort of thing?

Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 AM
The Man

Originally Posted by HondaHolly
Just changed the cabin air filter a week ago. Lots of bugs wedged in there! Also changed the oil and oil filter a week ago.

Brake fluid is a good one. Is it easy to change the transmission fluid and filter at home, or is that a shop-only sort of thing?
why are you asking if it is easy if you can change the filter at your house? if you just said you changed it a week ago haha

unless you are asking about the transmission filter....in that case. there isnt a filter as far as i am aware of haha

but as for the tranny fluid.. you could do it. its pretty simple. just buy a funnel with a straw attachment

Old 07-22-2012, 08:07 AM
HCF Member

Yea I was asking about the transmission filter.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

If you feel the T-belt wasn't changed by the previous owner, personally, I would forgo spending money on any maintenance on the car until your dad gets the T-belt replaced. If it is original, you're on borrowed time and putting any effort into it would be a waste if it pops. I wouldn't even wait till the end of summer, it needs to be driven to the mechanic to get a new T-belt now.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by boiler1
If you feel the T-belt wasn't changed by the previous owner, personally, I would forgo spending money on any maintenance on the car until your dad gets the T-belt replaced. If it is original, you're on borrowed time and putting any effort into it would be a waste if it pops. I wouldn't even wait till the end of summer, it needs to be driven to the mechanic to get a new T-belt now.
Very good point. I'll forgo the transmission fluid for now (only smelled slightly burnt, good red color) reiterate to my dad that the timing belt needs to get replaced asap.