General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Legal advice.. pertaining to my other threads.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 PM
HCF Member
Default Legal advice.. pertaining to my other threads.

As a few of you know, I recently got jacked around at a mechanic. I don't trust his judgment and I feel like I was raped of 800$.

Here's my solution:

1.) I'm 17 years old, so any contracts I signed are null and void.
2.) Dispute the charge on my mom's bank account and reclaim the money.
3.) Retrieve my vehicle as the mechanic no longer retains the right to the vehicle as it is my property.
4.) All future legal issues should disappear as there are no contracts related to legality of the original issue, and the amount of money the mechanic would receive from a lawsuit is in no way worth the court cost.

Opinions?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 PM

It just happened that you're minor...Sorry...lol

Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 AM
HCF Member

Huh? Being a minor is a good thing, keeps him from being able to actually sue.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 AM
HCF Member

Im not really sure about that and am sorry to hear about your troubles but i dont think you can legally take your car back without paying.

Again as you being a minor and all might work to your advantage but i think your not going to be able to just go there and just request your car back.

Truthfully you may need to speak with a lawyer about that type of stuff as im sure the shop has some of its own legal things protecting them from having a owner of a vehicle just claim his car without payment.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Has all work done on the car so far been paid for? If so, the mechanic has no right to keep the car.

If you have a legitimate problem with the quality of work that can't be resolved, and a credit card was used, the payment can be reversed. If you prevail on the reversal, the shop can't take other means against you to collect payment.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:45 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Has all work done on the car so far been paid for? If so, the mechanic has no right to keep the car.

If you have a legitimate problem with the quality of work that can't be resolved, and a credit card was used, the payment can be reversed. If you prevail on the reversal, the shop can't take other means against you to collect payment.
Exactly my situation. Lol.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:54 PM

Dude Is the car in your name ? Whoever holds title needs to dispute this. Who paid the bill?
This just might be a life lesson - I am 46 and still learn one now and then

Old 03-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Banned

its your fault deal with it you agreed to pay now pay. you should have done your homework to find what the cost was suppose to be. of course you got raped they rape everybody now payup and stop whining .thise may be harsh but thats life.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:12 PM
gwl
HCF Member

You may not like what I going to tell you. The best solution is to pay the bill and get an itemized receipt on the work that was performed. Also, you should get an estimate on the work that this mechanic recommends.

Take your car to a reputable shop maybe a dealer(LOL?) and get an estimate/diagnosis to get your car running. Take this estimate to the original mechanic and ask for a refund. If you don't get a resolution, take him to small claims court.

Good Luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

even if you didnt pay they cannot hold your car. you could get the police involved to get it back. but dont think just because your under 18 they cannot sue you, they can sue your parents which is what im sure they will do. and they will probably win.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Legal advice.. pertaining to my other threads.