General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

license plate lights???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
HCF Member
Default license plate lights???

i have seen cars with license plates just screwed to there bumpers, but dont you have to have lights on the rear plate? how do people do this or is that a state law and where can i look to see if it is like that in MA? i already tried to look on dmv but i cant find anything.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Default RE: license plate lights???

i dont see the problem. plates are reflective, at least in cali O_o

Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 PM

yes you have to have lights for your license plate. i am almost certain it is required in every state
ORIGINAL: Noodle

i dont see the problem. plates are reflective, at least in cali O_o
duh, all license plates are reflective. but what good does that serve to a cop on the side of the road checking peoples license plates as they drive by if they're looking for someone, or a hit and run to a pedestrian at night or any kind of crime in a vehicle. how's a pedestrian gonna get the license plate number to report it. They'd have to have a flashlight to see the plate...

Old 06-11-2008, 08:31 AM
HCF Member

In New York State, you need license plate lights for the rear plate. I would imagine that ALL 5O states have that law. If you see a car without said lights, they are N0T legal. My mother always said, "if you see somebody jump off the Brooklyn bridge, it doesnt mean you have to". The point being, just because you see people doing it, doesnt make it legal/right. Out here, Ive seen guys with 99-00 Civics that put blue or clear bulbs in their rear clear turn marker lenses and it's NOT legal.....for the most part, they do it until they get tickets for it.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

i was asking cause i want to clean up the trunk, get rid of the license plate insert and put the plate on the bumper but im going to have to get an insert to put in the bumper i guess, i have also seen people with those cheap led license plate frame then screwed to the bumper but i still dont now, i guess i will have to talk to a cop to see for sure what i can do.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

It also just depends on how strict your law enforcement is.
Some cops give tickets for dark tinting, just cause they have nothing better to do, some just let it go and don't even worry about it, cause they honestly don't care.
If it's the end of the month and they are trying to meet their quota, then that's a different story too.