General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Lights help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Default Lights help

Hello all--new here with a problem. Bought my daughter a Bull Dog Security remote start for Christmas. Has a 2002 civic. Son and I did the install. It works fine. But we now have no headlight, parking light, tailights or dash lights. Had to remove an aftermarket alarm system that had a wire going from it to a green plastic disconnected plug above the left vent. Checked headlight fuses, headlight relay under hood. Have no power to either side of the fuses. relay has B+ to 2 of the terminals and will light a test light dimly on the other terminal. When probing the terminal with the test light it will trun the headlights and parking lights on. If I also probe the wire at the green plug that the first alarm is hooked to it will also turn lights on. I am at a loss as to what the problem is. We didn't mess with anything inthat had to do with light I gues but something is wrong. Any ideas before I take it to Honda dealer. Thanks

Old 12-26-2007, 07:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Lights help

Wish I could help you...This is on the wrong thread you should get more help on this thread right here
General Tech Help

Old 12-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

1) Check whether fuse 2, 15, 17, or 19 in the under-hood fuse/relay box is blown (see picture for circuit diagram).

2) It doesn't make sense that the fuses don't have battery power. How are you doing the tests?

3) Based on your information, it sounds like one or more relays are bad.

4) Your test also suggests that the green plastic plug is hooked into the headlight/taillight circuit, but how this was done is unclear

Old 12-26-2007, 08:23 PM
HCF Member

^good job ron.

btw how old are you man?

Old 12-26-2007, 11:49 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civic_burns_all

^good job ron.

btw how old are you man?
Just curious...Do you want to ask him out ..lol

But yeah Ron is smart with all this diagrams he puts up on this threads

Old 12-27-2007, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the response. All fuses in both the under hood and underdash fuse box are good. pulled and looked at and used a test light to verify. Headlight fuses will not light with a test light on either side of the fuse with or without light switch on. Can run 12v jumper wire to either fuse and will light the headlight. The green plastic plug is not hooked to anything but had a wire tapped into it that went to the alarm system relay that was in the car when she purchased it. My guess is that when it was set it would flash the lights when someone tried to break in--grounding that one wire turns on all the lights and headlight buzzer. One more thing---the flash to pass will turn the light on and the light on buzzer also. I work on ambulances with miles of wiring on them and this one is driving me crazy. Thansk again.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

How it works is the light switch grounds the blue and red wire, which causes the relays to pull in and energize the 15A headlight fuses, then current flows from those fuses to the lights.

So assuming fuse 19 is good and energized (it should be live all the time) there is probably a break or something unplugged in the blue and red wire, or the light switch is bad or not grounded thru the black wire on terminal 12 (though if that were the case, the lights would not work because there is no path out of the high/low beam switch).

If you ground the blue and red wire the headlights should come on. And grounding the blue wire should turn on the taillights. I'd take the column cover off and do that right at the combination switch.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reborn55
1) Headlight fuses will not light with a test light on either side of the fuse with or without light switch on.

2) Can run 12v jumper wire to either fuse and will light the headlight.

3) The green plastic plug is not hooked to anything but had a wire tapped into it that went to the alarm system relay that was in the car when she purchased it. My guess is that when it was set it would flash the lights when someone tried to break in--grounding that one wire turns on all the lights and headlight buzzer. One more thing---the flash to pass will turn the light on and the light on buzzer also. I work on ambulances with miles of wiring on them and this one is driving me crazy. Thansk again.
1) Possible explanations for this failed test are (i) fuse 19 is not receiving battery power, (ii) the combination switch is bad, (iii) the headlight relays are bad, or the BLU/REd wire is bad. Given that both the tail lights and headlights don't work, I think you should begin by checking (i) and, if fuse 19 has power, then test whether the tail light and headlight relays are also receiving power.

2) I assume that when you did the 12V jumper wire test, the headlights turned ON only when the combination switch was switched to the headlights ON position. If so, the results of this test suggest that the combination switch is fine.

3) It's difficult for me to interpret this observation without knowing how the green plug is wired into the system.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:44 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Civic Si 00

ORIGINAL: civic_burns_all

^good job ron.

btw how old are you man?
Just curious...Do you want to ask him out ..lol

But yeah Ron is smart with all this diagrams he puts up on this threads
whoa whoa do we have a problem here?
lol i was curious, if he was some mechanic or not

Old 12-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Thanks for all the help--turned out to be a fried light switch. Seems son wired the remote start wrong and got a wire in the wrong place. Should be on the road tomorrow. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Lights help