General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

lights... & more lights...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:47 PM
HCF Member
Default lights... & more lights...

hey guys, i was looking into getting some new lights last night and i came across a few things that aroused some questions in me.

1) fogs vs. driving: i was looking at fog lights and i came across "driving lights". what is the difference between the 2 other than fog lights help out with foggy situations. alos, when i came across the driving lights they caught my interest, however i noticed that they looked nothing like the fog lights and i kinda liked the way the fog lights looked. then i started thinking that i dont really get much fog down here in socal, so what would be the point in getting fog lights. any ideas/opinions on which way to go, fog vs driving?

2) headlights & taillights: i want to upgrade my lights for looks and brightness. but there are so many options and im not really that "light savvy". i kind of like the shape of the projectors (roundness) and i thought that they were supposed to be good lights, however, ive been reading some previous threads and it doesn't seem like too many people really like the quality of the projectors. also i would rather have more of a white light or blue light than the factory dim yellowish/orange whatever they are. ive read that a lot of people like the HID lights, but they are like $600 to retrofit (which i dont know what is meant by retrofit) which is a little pricey for me. any ideas/opinions on how to get brighter, better looking, different color lights? same goes for the tails (except the brightness part cuz i know that really isn't a factor when it comes to tails). also i kind of like the ones procivic.com has for my car.

like i said, im not really "light savvy", but im trying to learn more about cars overall. please forgive me if my questions seem a bit noobish/annoying. thanks in advance for all the help!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
HCF Member

you don't have to have fog to use fog light. they will add light the road better. some people like how they look. i would personally go with fog lights. as for headlights i have projectors with hids. for some reason the projectors produce less light output than regular halogen lights. but i still like the hid lights coming out from my projectors. if you put hid's into stock headlights you will blind other people on the road because the light gets scattered everywhere unless you aim them lower to the ground. i would get those red/ clear tails for your 4 door civic. i think they look sick. maybe i can get some pictures of how my fog light and projector headlight with hid's tonight when it gets darker. here's one taken during the day

Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Driving lights: White light, points far down the road, like extra high beams. Illegal in some states.

Fog lights: Yellow light, wide beam stays near the car but down low so it doesn't glare back at you in fog. I think they are legal everywhere.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM
HCF Member

sfazngiants, i was looking at fogs like yours, i really liked the way they looked in the pic on procivic.com. and in your pic they look sweet. 2 things 1) are they easy to install for a noob, and 2) can they only be in yellow or can you use different colors?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:41 PM
HCF Member

for a noob i don't know. have you done electrical work before? i think you should have the same bumper as me, in this case you will need to use a dremel and cut the bumper.

i think you should get them from ebay, either OEM, Depo, or if your cheap like me then i got the oem style ones for about $50. depo should cost about $80 and OEM by raybrig should cost about $120. procivic.com is kind of pricey.

for the foglights you can have yellow, yellwish white, like oem headlight bulbs, white, and some people have bluish white HID's in there also. just change the bulb to the ones you want. not sure what is legal or not in your state though. i chose yellow because it's usually foggy in san francisco where i live, the yellow shines through the fog better.

Last edited by sfazngiants; 11-18-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:07 PM
HCF Member

the yellows are nice. i just dont like the yellowish white like the oem. im not sure if ive seen the white ones. bluish white would be nice. it looks like my bumper has cuts already where you have your fogs. ill try to post some pics sometime soon. we dont usually get much fog down here in socal, or at least not nearly as much as you do up there.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

o yea, i have really no electrical background, but that's all part of learning right.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:22 PM
HCF Member

check out these diy's. if you understand them then you should be able to do them yourself.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=70402
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=68753

since you live in cali then i think running any light color should be fine. just don't do anything that is too extreme.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM
HCF Member

do you know of any good sites that are not too pricey and where i might be able to see some pics of different style fogs and heads & tails as well while im at it.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM
HCF Member

i recommend the red/clear taillight for the 4 door civics. i think they look the best. but search up on ebay and you can see most of the styles that are out there on ebay

Quick Reply: lights... & more lights...