General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Looking to buy a 2001-2005 Civic....

Old 01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
HCF Member
Default Looking to buy a 2001-2005 Civic....

I was originally looking to purchase a 1999-2002 Accord, but found out through several forums that those cars has massive issues with the automatic transmissions. Seeing as how the manual 4 cylinder version is hard to find in our area with low miles, we have decided to broaden our search and include Civics. I didn't realize that the passenger space difference was negligible between the 99-02 Accord and the 01-05 Civic.

Same question.....different car. What should we look for as we go looking at these cars? Are there any specific problems that come up with them? At this time, we are looking at both coupes and 4 doors (we have a teenage daughter that will soon be 6 feet tall and rides in the back seat LOL), trying to stick with a 4 cylinder manual, as this is the best gas mileage. Did Honda get their act together and fix the automatic transmission in this generation of Civic, or are they troublesome like the Accords? Any particular year better than another? We are looking to get a sunroof...are their any leaking issues? Do these Civics typically last like the Hondas you hear about that have 100,000+ miles? We heard about computer issues in the 2000 to current models.....have these cars displayed any inherent computer flaws?

Sorry for all of the questions...I just want to be informed when we go looking....

Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Yea, you're right about those automatic transmissions... my dad's gf has a 2002 Accord and the tranny had to be rebuilt at 40k miles... and she drives it like a girl so i'm sure she didn't ruin it.

For a sunroof you'll need an EX model, it shouldn't leak if it's an OEM sunroof
I haven't heard anything bad about the automatic transmissions in those Civics
They last a long time too, just like all other Hondas
The later years in a generation of a car (2001-2005 is the 7th gen Civic) are always better than the first years because the company has had time to work out kinks... but usually those kinks are very minor and it won't matter which year you get in the generation.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 PM
HCF Member

I've got a 94 civic, brothers got the 92 civic, grandparents have a 93 accord, good cars, all 3 have over 165k miles, no issues ever with transmissions, good strong running cars. I say forget one of the newer generations and stick with the old school! Jk, my buddys got the newer civic, its pretty dope, real economical, no known issues, totaled his first one and got the same one again. Real spacious really.

If you are trying to incorporate looks and gas pump friendly, the accords are sick! If you dont car what the car looks like..go with the civic. Go with the Ex model..all power options.

Doug