General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Looking to buy my first civic 95 ex

Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Default Looking to buy my first civic 95 ex

Hey guys I'm looking to buy a used 1995 honda civic ex, wanting to know if its a good deal at the price, things to look out for during the test drive, and your general opinion and advice on it? I don't want to get a bad civic as my first car.

the listing can be see on craigslist here : 1995 Honda Civic EX coupe jdm

I've been texting the guy and he says it will need a new clutch down the road but all else works!

thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 AM

All manual cars will need a clutch down the road... its a wear item. that's like saying, the car will need brakes every 25-30k.

I will pick it apart, not to scare you, but for fun.

-there is nothing "jdm" about that car.

-Not sure how he doesn't know the mileage when he bought the car, it is on the title, unless he is lying about something.

-He says "I sell cars for a living and know for a fact you can get a nicer car in this price range." Which is an odd statement for a seller to make.

-"it has only been services at Tom Kadlec Honda" = he should have receipts to prove this.

-APC short throw shifter - aluminum, pepboys brand junk short shifter. Not bad, but it can snap if you put enough force into it.

-8000k hid = plug and play kit, probably blinding oncoming drivers like crazy

-Aftermarket si look a like head and tail lights = Those tail lights look nothing like the 92-95 SI tail lights. All 92-95 Civics came with the same styled headlights, so w/e he has in there (he doesn't really picture it) is some aftermarket stuff.

-That exhaust is going to be loud IMO

-Looks like rust is starting in the bottom corner on the pass side. normal, but just pointing it out.

-big ugly H symbol on the steering wheel. if the airbag pops, do you think that will hit you in the face? lol

Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

No picture under the hood is odd. Make sure it has the VTEC engine that an EX should. I think the 95 EX should also have rear disk brakes instead of drums but not sure of that. I can't see the brakes in the picture anyway but that is something to check out to make sure you're really getting an EX and not a DX or LX with an EX badge on it.

It does have a bunch of cheesy mods that you will want to undo, as they will only annoy you in a daily driver. Cars in stock condition are actually worth more than after what he did to it.

Last edited by mk378; 08-29-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM

MK, discs were standard on the SI's only, but an option for the others IIRC