General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Looking at buying a 2000 Civic HX Manual

Old 07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
HCF Member
Default Looking at buying a 2000 Civic HX Manual

Hi,

Was out looking at a 2000 Civic HX Manual today. I've never driven one before, and found the engine idling pretty high for an engine that is supposed to be good on gas. In fact, the engine would idle at 2500 or so...I did find that it came down to the expected 800 or so after it had been sitting for a while, but once I got back to driving, the RPMs got right back up there.

Is this normal ?

Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM
HCF Member

i think the manual Hx's are known to have that kind of problem. I wouldnt recommend getting an HX, recommend to get an EX or Si instead

Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

My HX has no idle problem. Its for sale to.wow theres been alot of HX talk on the forum latly..

Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM
HCF Member
Red face Baseline

Thanks for the replies. Thanks enigma34 for the confirmation. I had a strong feeling that just wasn't right, but had no experience even seeing an HX up close yet. I just wasn't sure if the engine management might've been designed to hover around that for consistent rpm or something, but logically it didn't make sense that a car designed for such great mileage would be at 2700 on idle. The crazy thing is that with so few of them around, its next to impossible to get a baseline idea of what they should drive like when I go looking. The whole reason I am looking for an HX is because I drive 150 miles every day with my job...been there over a year now. I am driving an old 92 Accord right now that is in amazing condition...just hit 105k....bought from an older person at 60k just two years ago. I really wish I could hold onto it because it still drives like new. However, at 28mpg (my best - and still decent), it would pay for itself if I could find a car that gets 40...if I find one in that generation that hasn't been just plain MOLESTED. Apparently because they were stripped down weight wise, and had the factory aluminum rims, they are the first ones ppl go looking for when doing an engine swap. Is yours a manual too ? I've read too many things about the CVT in that generation to trust one. I would definitely have to have a manual. I noticed you're in CT, so guess we can't help each other out with the sell situation, but I'm curious what kinda condition yours is in, and what you're asking.

Thanks again,
JP

Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Angry Admin

his has been molested next question

Old 07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jprommel
his has been molested next question
It really has.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by Kehoe
It really has.
I like this noob... he knows what's up

Old 07-12-2009, 06:31 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by enigma34
My HX has no idle problem. Its for sale to.wow theres been alot of HX talk on the forum latly..
lol, your car has too many other problems.

Its normal for civic to idle high when the car is turned on and warming up. As long as it goes back down to around 800 then your fine.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I still have my manual 97 HX since new. I have 320,000 miles on it. I just got it rebuilt. Before and after the rebuilt I can get around 40 mpg. The HX does have some unique problems, but I don't consider them much of a big thing. They have an EGR problem (carbon build up around the intake passages), expensive primary O2 sensor for the manual trans, and if have the infamous CVT which replaces the traditional auto trans are problematic. The HX drive train are very scarce, that is why I had the motor rebuilt. I'm not a big fan of swapping different engines for my commuter car.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 PM
HCF Member
Default Finally found one and bought it...

Found an HX after looking for a while. It drives great...engine smooth...body and interior need a little attention, but I bought it this past Sunday for $2300. It is a 1997 and has 180k miles. Everything appears to still be stock...engine compartment, wheels, interior, etc...so it hasn't been crazy modded. I filled up on Sunday and emptied that tank by Wednesday. My initial mpg calculations show roughly 39mpg. How amazing. I wish I could tell you guys that all is well, but the car is throwing a number of codes...EGR is on there. I've been reading about the procedure to clean the ports out, but can't seem to find a .pdf that was talked about in one thread. Can anybody give me a link ? I even searched by EGR port, but got nothing pointing me to that particular article.

So far I've replaced the blower motor, installed washer nozles (weren't there, but luckily pump worked and there was even washer fluid already in the system), fixed a short in the spoiler LED...wasn't working before, but does now, and a handful of other items. Its been a busy week.

The 3 codes being shown (per Autozone) are:

P1259
P0401
& P0420

I'm really crossing my fingers that these can all be worked away with some of the advice found on this site. It will kill me if I walked into a $300 O2 sensor, or a new EGR valve, or a new cat.

Anywho, you live and learn, so we'll see how it all works out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. ;-)

Take care all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 2000 Civic HX Manual