General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

looking at buying a civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Default looking at buying a civic

Hi, I'm currently looking to buy a civic roughly around a 98-02 more than likely a dx or ex model. I know that you have to keep up with things like the timing belt (from what i heard needs to be changed around 80-100k)on them and your basic maintence like oil changes. I was wondering though what other things you might have to watch out for depending on the miles on the car roughly looking in the 70-120mi. range. I've been reading about how with some years like 99-00 they had trouble with the EVAC and catalitic converters and with the windshield wiper motors(just on coupe models though)as well. Also noticed on the 01-03 they've had some trouble with the automatic transmissions. Also just curious about what you thought about people selling onesthat had motor swaps done to them?I know that honda's are known for their reliability but just curious as to your input was everyting and just wondering what i should look out for considering i'd be a first time honda buyer after driving a truck for the past 3yrs. and i need something alittle more reliable on gas. Any input would be appriciated thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: looking at buying a civic

i have an 03 for sale for a good price.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:59 PM

It’s a fun to drive Honda Civic.
I own 2002 Honda Civic and I'd never buy another brand again.
Offers a good mileage and never breaks down.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I have a 94 EX (auto) for sale... 103xxx miles

it needs a little work, but it runs perfectly

*edit: since 2slo put a price in, I might as well, too:
$2000 for the car alone
$2500 for the car, body kit (r34 front, black widow sides/rear, needs some repair and needs painted), fenders (fiberglass z3 fenders), and projector headlights

I really need to make a for sale thread lol

Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
HCF Member

I'm selling mine. $3700 obo Civic EX

Old 01-10-2008, 04:38 PM

How about instead of selling your rides on this thread, you answer this guys question....???

Honda put themselves on the map when they built the Civic. It truly is a great car. I have a 2000 EX with 110k miles and havent had any major problems. Great gas mileage, decent power, and many options for upgrades. I would highly recommend buying one!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: fallguy

Hi, I'm currently looking to buy a civic roughly around a 98-02 more than likely a dx or ex model. I know that you have to keep up with things like the timing belt (from what i heard needs to be changed around 80-100k)on them and your basic maintence like oil changes. I was wondering though what other things you might have to watch out for depending on the miles on the car roughly looking in the 70-120mi. range. I've been reading about how with some years like 99-00 they had trouble with the EVAC and catalitic converters and with the windshield wiper motors(just on coupe models though)as well. Also noticed on the 01-03 they've had some trouble with the automatic transmissions. Also just curious about what you thought about people selling onesthat had motor swaps done to them?I know that honda's are known for their reliability but just curious as to your input was everyting and just wondering what i should look out for considering i'd be a first time honda buyer after driving a truck for the past 3yrs. and i need something alittle more reliable on gas. Any input would be appriciated thanks.
I just bought an 01 EX coupe and I love it...

96-00 styles are considered better handlers due todouble-wishbone...in 01+ Civics switched to strut McPherson struts...

Obviously try to look for well maintained one owner examples, I assume if someone is selling something with a swap it may be a bit risker or driven harder...

As you mentioned timing belts should have been replaced at 80-100miles, if you arent sure if its been done then get it done right when you buy the car...

Wiper motors I dont know about, but the good thing about these cars is that they are pretty cheap to repair/maintain...infact I changed my wiper motor (with a friends help) using a $53 wiper motor and arm from a junk-yard - it was a 30 minute job and now it works fine...

Automatics, I dont know...

I wasnt worried about high mileage, mine has 150miles (!!!!!) and it still runs great...so something in the 70-120miles youll be fine if all maintainance was followed (and the maint schedule isnt much...)

I posted a link to the 01 owners guide you can take a look at the maint jobs, but really its just oil and filter as I recall...nothing to major except the water pump which runs about 700 parts and labour...

If you get a civic regardless of the year Im sure youll like it - Id get something in the higher trim since youre buying used it wont be that much more...EX has the vtec and sunroof...

Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: baker

i have an 03 for sale for a good price.
How much??Gimme your last price.. hehe

Old 01-13-2008, 10:24 PM

I drive 2000 Honda Civic EX Coupe. Works great in gas.
This is the best I ever owned, would recommend it to anyone.