General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Looking forward to my transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM
HCF Member
Default Looking forward to my transmission rebuild

Ever since I bought my 2000 civic ex with 100,000 miles on it 6-7 years ago everything was bone stock. Transmission shifted smooth, minus the occassional grind into reverse, but sometimes when redlining into 2nd gear it would be notchy or hard to shift into 2nd.

Well, 100,000 miles and a 300whp set up later my transmission is finally giving out. Grinds going into first gear at random, grinds going into 2nd at random and during light driving 2nd will pop out/may or may not grind. High revs into 2nd feels like it won't go into gear unless you force it.

Never though had a problem with 3rd, 4th, or 5th. And not to mention for most of those 100,000 miles I've had it the cv joints clunk on turns and coming to a stop.

Luckily for me, one of the guys at work is knowledgeable about transmission pulls and has some experience with transmission rebuilds on these hondas. He offered to do the whole job for a good price compared to what shops normally charge.

I bought all the parts: synchrotech full transmission kit(full carbon synchros, bearings, seals, rings), mfactory LSD w/bearings, competition clutch stage 4 clutch, competition 11.4LB flywheel and new Raxle axles. I have the same clutch/flywheel setup for the S so hopefully it feels the same across both cars.

Once everything is done this car will probably feel like a brand new, smooth shifting with lots of rattles civic. If the transmission feels like that of the S going in and out of gears I can't wait to get it on the road again

And hopefully I'm done putting money into the car. Trying to save $$$ just for something to go out and start you over gets old some times.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 PM

Sucks about the damage. Popping out of second randomly happened to me awhile back in a 98 Civic I used to own. Ended up being a shifter tuning fork being damaged.

Competition clutch makes great products IMO. Had one on the JRSC y8 with no problems and I have one on the H22a right now and love it. Pedal pressure is almost like stock IMO. I bet I don't need to tell you that though since you have one in the S!

Transmission sounds like it will be bullet proof after all of this. Nice. Raxles is a good company from what I have heard, too.

+1 for doing the rebuild the right way.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM
HCF Member

shifter tuning fork. Are you talking about the part that runs along the bottom of the car that connects between the bottom of short shifter and the other end to an end link?

or the forks inside the transmission, mainly 1st/2nd gear fork

Last edited by inthezoneac; 06-21-2012 at 02:59 PM.