General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

low idle and smoke probs.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Unhappy low idle and smoke probs.

hey guys.. I"m pretty new at this tuner chit. I"m much more in my realm in an old chevy engine compartment.
have a 97 civic ex with d16y8 in it, had a valve break.. had the head redone and replaced valve also did the front seal, timing belt, and other stuff that i had opened...got it all back together , KNOW I did it right and now I have a BAD smoking from tailpipe prob. and a very low idle, so low it'll stall most the time... I'm stumped.
Checked the IAC it was full of carbon... cleaned reinstalled... no help. Have a part on the passenger side of head in the back that I can't even find in the book... no idea what it does or what it is. think it might be part of the smoking prob. but again don't even know what it is. has 3 bolts and a silonoid looking thing on it... any help would be greatly welcome.
As far as getting it back together and all.. it runs great EXCEPT these 2 issues, has full power and all.?.?.
Thanx,
Stumped%

Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Post photos of the sensor.

Is the CEL ON?

What color is the exhaust smoke? White, blue, or black?

Pull the plugs and inspect them. What do they tell you? Are specific cylinders the problem?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Found out what the part in question is... pretty sure it's not the smoking prob., it was the "spool valve assembly" or "v-tec solinoid" I understand the idea of what it does.
The smoke is mostly white and ALOT more than worn rings would put out. The plugs in all the cylinders looked the same, looks like it's sucking oil from somewhere and yes the CEL is on. Trying to get code reader from friend right now. I don't much trust "the zone " anymore... they told me it was misfiring on ALL cylinders last time, when it was only the #2 that was missing (broken valve).

Last edited by To-Anh; 06-03-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Pure white "smoke" is typically steam from coolant leaking into the cylinders (usually at the head gasket). The smoke will smell like antifreeze if that is what it is.