General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Lowering the car??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 AM
Default Lowering the car??

Gday,

Im not too much of a mechanic, gota be honest here, and i was wondering if there are any benifits or disadvantages to lowering a car? Ma mates are doing it to there cars, but i want a person with a bit of experience ta help me out with some info b4 i make a decision..

thanks a ton!!!

i got a 97 Vti civic coupe

Old 10-30-2007, 03:49 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Lowering the car??

[*]Advantage: Lowering your car looks cool.
[*]Advantage: Lowering your car also lowers its center of gravity (CG) which decreases "weight transfer" to help improve handling. And it may also lower your car's "roll center" and change other aspects of your car's suspension geometry in ways that help handling. But sometimes these changes hurt.
[*]Advantage: Lowering your car improves aerodynamics at high speeds.
[*]Problem: Lowering changes your car's wheel alignment. Usually the car's "negative camber" and "toe-in" are increased. Extra negative camber may be a handling advantage.

Solution: After you have lowered your car, make sure to get the car's suspension aligned immediately at a good wheel alignment shop.
[*]Problem: Lowering the car makes it more susceptible to "bottoming out." This is when your suspension compresses enough, usually over bumps (and especially bumps in turns), to cause your suspension's "bump stops" to contact. This pounding can damage your car's suspension and chassis if it is excessive. It can also cause your car to "skip" over bumps in fast turns, or even increase the likelihood of your car flipping over! This can be dangerous and isn't the way to win races either.

Solution: Make sure that you select a spring rate that is stiffer in proportion to the amount you lower your car. If you plan to lower your car so much that it only has half the "wheel travel" it currently has (the distance between the bump stops with the car at normal ride height), you should double the spring rates. This will ensure that your car will not bottom out any more than it currently does.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:04 AM
HCF Member

Double posting isnt necessary. You got it right the first time when you posted this question in the suspension part of the forum[&:]

Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 AM
HCF Member

I would just buy Eibach springs feels like your stock spring.. NOT a bouncy ride at ALL. Good quality. I been having them for 2 1/2 yrs on my Si and still no wear on my tires. They are a very smooth ride.[&:]

Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 PM

dont be one of those people that just do the springs, just spend a little extra and swap out the struts to, its apart anyways.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:14 AM

ah okay okay, gotcha.. yea well thanks heaps for the advice, ill make sure i print it off nd talk to some blokes. oh and sorry for the double post, this is the first forum thingo ive used so yea, still learning the tricks nd stuff! ma bad[:'(] oh nd how much we talking for the struts and springs seperatly?? can ya specify if ur using us currency aswell, just so i dont get a shock :P lol

Old 11-03-2007, 03:52 AM
HCF Member

Problem- Ground clearance. Use adjustable coilovers and watch where you drive.