General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Ls/Vtec Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM
HCF Member
Default Ls/Vtec Build

So i traded my hatch for a 96 civic with a gsr swap...through the rod out the block on gsr first night with car ...so im building a ls/vtec...
Heres my list of the build
Ls block (been to machine shop)
Ls Crank
Gsr Girdle
eagle rods
eagle pistons 10.1
Gsr Head (port and polished)(tapped)
Apr Head Bolts
Vtec conversion Kit off ebay???(maybe bad choice)
Gsr water pump
Gsr oil pump
Gsr timing belt
p28 ecu (not chipped)
Gsr tran
Light fly wheel
Clutch Master clutch

I heard ls/vtec are unreliable, so i want to know if my build is going to be reliable...

Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 PM

This negative view on LS/VTEC comes from people who put a stock LS block on a B16/GSR head. The LS bottom end shouldn't be revved that high. Since you are beefing up the rods/bolts, then I would imagine it would be fine. I would just put up the money for something known to work as far as the vtec conversion kit; go with a company like Golden Eagle.

However, you mention no tuning. Do not plan on running this motor set-up on a stock ECU.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 PM
HCF Member

I have three LS motors one semi built ls non vtec 2nd LS turbo with some goods putting out 260 hp 223 tq and other LS vtec with a b16 head and have never had any problems with any of the ls blocks ..... probably the motor wasnt tuned the correct way.. i have alot of faith on ls blocks do some good research check compression on the head... all ive done for my LS VTEC is jst harnest ecu good tune and running like a champ but i have a b16 tranny not a big fan of gsr jst my opinion.... also make shure the ppl that tune ur car kno what they are doing alot of ppl can read numbers but have very little knowledge of how the motor can go all out with out any break downs..... and i have had each motor for more then 3 years......

Old 06-11-2012, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
This negative view on LS/VTEC comes from people who put a stock LS block on a B16/GSR head. The LS bottom end shouldn't be revved that high. Since you are beefing up the rods/bolts, then I would imagine it would be fine. I would just put up the money for something known to work as far as the vtec conversion kit; go with a company like Golden Eagle.

However, you mention no tuning. Do not plan on running this motor set-up on a stock ECU.
Well change of plans...im getting a B20 block to vtec instead of the ls block...any opinion on the b20/vtec???...same build as ls, just different block

Old 06-11-2012, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

b20v is a good way to go jst have a good fuel rail and fuel pump with injectors and you will do some good damage....... jst get it tuned the rite way you need "( good tune)" or the block or head will go out on you again..... jst keep in mind b20 have very thin piston sleeves which means if you try and go turbo the block wont last you so long or even try pushing it alittle hard you ru into some porblems...

Old 06-11-2012, 04:53 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by animal_00
jst keep in mind b20 have very thin piston sleeves which means if you try and go turbo the block wont last you so long or even try pushing it alittle hard you ru into some porblems...
this^^^^

Old 06-11-2012, 05:13 PM

B20 is fine. I believe there is just a little more work to the block needed (something about the head gasket or dowel pins.. i dunno), but it would be a nice set-up in the end.

Originally Posted by Animal_00
b20v is a good way to go jst have a good fuel rail and fuel pump with injectors and you will do some good damage....... jst get it tuned the rite way you need "( good tune)" or the block or head will go out on you again..... jst keep in mind b20 have very thin piston sleeves which means if you try and go turbo the block wont last you so long or even try pushing it alittle hard you ru into some porblems...
No need for a fuel rail, but it is nice for bling factor

+1 to fuel pump, if anything you should get something like 330cc (or 440cc max) injectors.

+98765432345678 to the tune. Make sure you find someone that knows what he/she is doing (as in, experienced with Hondas) and ask what they would prefer ECU wise. Many tuners are better at some programs than others.

^^Same goes for turbo. Plan to stay N/A due to the piston walls. You can get a nice N/A set-up out of something like this.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

yea...ima keep this build N/A due to the vtec...im going to boost my H23 civic after im done with this build...

Old 06-13-2012, 05:53 AM

I would like to see how th H23 responds to boost. I have heard that boost is not good on H motors due to the FRM liners in the block destroying the piston rings. Of course, that is debatable since a lot of the reliability in this type of stuff is in the tune.

You can boost a vtec motor, a handful of people have this superstition that you shouldn't for some reason. I suggest not to boost the B20 since it is the same block as a B18, but with thinner piston walls. The thinner walls causes the build to fail unless the motor was sleeved of course.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

b20 & b18 blocks are no where near the same....... i agree with the h23 not good for boost.....

Quick Reply: Ls/Vtec Build