General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ls vtec problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 03:46 PM
Default ls vtec problems

I bought a 2000 civic ek with an ls vtec swap about 2 months ago. I went to take it to get the oil leak checked at a drive thru xpress lube and they told me all my seals and gaskets were bad. What should i do? Not sure if i should trust the guy who sold it to me to fix it because he said the car was fine. What will this cost me? I know the motor needs to be taken apart. Just need some friendly advice. Thank you.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:50 AM

Find where the leak is coming from. clean everything off underneath and then watch for leaks to happen. I wouldn't trust an express oil place.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:45 AM

This is true. But let's say they were right and I take it to a pro. How much will it cost with the labor

Old 01-01-2016, 12:33 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by fitxvtec
This is true. But let's say they were right and I take it to a pro. How much will it cost with the labor
To replace all the seals by a professional mechanic would probably cost anywhere $500-$1000+
Not that its hard to change all the seals but its time consuming.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:02 AM

unless you take it to a performance shop that understands these motors, any "normal" tech is going to be confused as fawk when you tell them you have a Civic with an integra bottom end, with a Civic si/GSR head. What I am trying to say is that they may not know what to install to fix it.

Hell, there could be one leak that is serious and the drive thru tech said "it's leaking everywhere" because that's his job and how places like those make money. Get under there and figure out what you are dealing with unless you have a trusted shop to help you (which I assume you don't being that you went to a jiffy lube)

Old 01-04-2016, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
unless you take it to a performance shop that understands these motors, any "normal" tech is going to be confused as fawk when you tell them you have a Civic with an integra bottom end, with a Civic si/GSR head. What I am trying to say is that they may not know what to install to fix it.

Hell, there could be one leak that is serious and the drive thru tech said "it's leaking everywhere" because that's his job and how places like those make money. Get under there and figure out what you are dealing with unless you have a trusted shop to help you (which I assume you don't being that you went to a jiffy lube)
Thanks. Now the car isn't my daily thankfully and I only took it to the xpress lube because a friend of mine works there ( he happened to be off that day) I'm just gonna take the car to the guy who originally built the motor and see what he can do for me. I'm sort of new to the honda world and this is my second ek just not with this set up. Thanks everyone

Old 01-04-2016, 03:34 PM

Where are you seeing the leak coming from?

Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Where are you seeing the leak coming from?
From underneath. But when u look under the hood oil is spewed everywhere. Gonna take her to a shop people have recommended this Monday and get it on a lift. I wanna see first hand. The guy who sold it to me is on an army job and won't be in town. I know the oil pan gasket needs to be replaced as well

Old 01-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Yea, b series oil pan gases are known to leak. They are fickle beasts and you need to take great care when torquing them onto the block or they will quickly start to leak. I went through a few before I actually got it right on my integra.

Distributor o ring is common leaking area, too. that could cause oil to leak all over the passenger side of the engine. You shouldn't see much oil on the upper portion of the driver side of the engine unless there is an issue with your cam seals, or valve cover gasket.

Final note here, the B16/GSR head uses a different head gasket than the non-vtec bottom end it is paired with. There is a possibility that the incorrect head gasket was used, too.