General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Manual transmission reputation

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Default Manual transmission reputation

This question is as much for Honda Accords as it is for Civics. If there is a material difference, please advise.

I joined the forum as I was looking at Civics, but I have to admit that now I have test driven an Accord, and fell in love. With 2 growing kids, I think the room of the Accord might be necessary for my family. Sorry to drag the Accord in, I am hoping since you all love Honda, you wont be offended

Are Honda manual transmissions reliable? Is there a difference in tranny reliability between Civic and Accord? I am looking to Honda because of the quality reputation, but since manual Accords are pretty rare, I wanted to make sure they are still ok.

And I found a low priced Accord that had $6,900 CDN repairs from hitting a deer. The car looks fine, but I worry if the body could have been permanently bent. Is there a way to get this checked out? Or should I just stay away.

Thanks for your advice.

Hope my Accord comments dont offend

Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Manual transmission reputation

honda manual transmissions are universally praised among the major automotive magazines as the best in the industry for precision and feel.

toyota gets the nod for automatic transmissions.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the reply drbyers

So if you were looking at a used car that had $7k in repairs from hitting a deer, would you even consider it? Its a manual (which have been impossible to find) and priced right.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:34 PM
HCF Member

my friend loves accords...he totaled his 96 (ex 2dr. manual) and looked for3 months because he would only drive a 2 door coupe EX 5 speed accord. I love accords too, but meh, i have a civic...if i needed a bigger car for like a family or whatever...accord hands down! back to him, he paid almost 1k more than it was really "worth" because he loves them so much..... i love hondas, and there manual trannys...they are very reliable. you wont regret it.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

I absolutely agree with drbyers.

I would pass on an accident vehicle. In general, they tend to be a higher risk to you as a consumer, especially in the long run. There are too many questions about the repair process to really get true answers all the time. Many of them have to do with "...and was it done right?".

I highly suggest that you take it to your favorite shop and ask their opinion. If you're sure you can't find another one like it in manual, go for it. In the meantime, I would add another hundred miles or so to your search. Use sites like craigslist, cars.com (that's how I found my EJ8), and even ebay. Beware with ebay, though. If you're going to buy a car on there, make sure it's close enough to go look at before you buy it.

Another way you can do it is to call up the local Honda dealership. They get trade-ins all the time on leased cars that have had all major work and upkeep done right there in their shop. Especially Accords, and even more especially, family cars. Sometimes there is a waiting list, but many times, it's worth it to wait and find exactly what you want. They are also in touch with many other local Honda dealerships, and can sometimes trade trade-ins to get you what you need. Most dealerships will do ANYTHING to get repeat business. This is especially true of most Honda dealerships. Beware of "stealerships" though. They do exist.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:42 PM

I was totally all for Civic (we have our eye on a sweet '05 loaded, tinted, 40k, for $15kCDN), but after the wife (its a car for her) drove the Accord and Camry, she fell in love with the extra roominess. This one we found with 5spd is perfect (ok, it lacks the sun/moon roof) but I am wary of the deer collission.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:59 PM

Yeah I have been dealing with the local Honda dealer. They say (and is evidenced by what is on their lot) that they just dont get that many Accord trade ins... whereas they get a lot of Civics, and Civics come off leases as well.

Unfortunately we need a vehicle sooner than later. Taking a ferry (2 hours, $150) I can go to Vancouver, which opens the market up big time, but again its a giant ahssle to go there, and might not even find what were looking for... so multiple trips there gets expensive (and time consuming) in a hurry.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:30 PM
HCF Member

you won't go wrong with either a used camry, accord OR civic. they're all pretty reliable.

as for the deer dents. that's something different.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

+1 on everyone saying honda trannys are great...something even domestic lovers will admit.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback all.
This is obviously what I was hoping to hear.