General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Maybe buying 1997 Civic HX

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 AM
Default Maybe buying 1997 Civic HX

Saw a Civic HX 1997 5 speed on Craigslist local for $2000.00, Not for sure of the mileage yet, waiting for an email back. But from what I have read it's a good car and gets great gas mileage. Anything i should look for, I will take to a Honda garage to have it checked out. Any help would be great.

Thanks Joe

Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 AM
gwl
HCF Member

Well the HX has the alloy wheels, some peolpe will swap some cheapie wheels before they sell the car. I had a cracked exhaust manifold/CAT that was an expensive part to replaced especially if use a Honda replacement. At the time, there weren't any CARB approved OEM replacement. I will add more later, so off to work I go.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The HX is the high-mpg version, which is great if that's what you want. It reportedly does not respond as well to attempting to modify it for performance as the other versions. The exhaust and oxygen sensors are special versions that are considerably more expensive than ones for the DX or EX.

If smog tests are required in your area you should make that a condition of sale, i.e. it must be taken to smog test and pass it before you pay for the car.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

yes, the hx has a bit better mpg than other civic models. it would be expensive to replace the cat converter since its one piece with the header. last time i got a price for 800 from the dealer. i think magnaflow sells one for about 500 that is legal. if its a good price, clean, low mileage, and you like it. get it

Old 11-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Default Thanks for the replies

I hope to go look at it this weekend, it's in another county close by, so thats a good heads up to check the smog inspection. I'm not to interested in changing car, I just like the fact that it will get good gas mileage.

Thanks, Joe

Old 11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

definitely take a look at it make sure it runs and looks good. 2000 is a nice price if everything is perfect or even some minor things you need to fix its still worth it and low miles. let us know if you decide to pick it up. good luck

Old 11-21-2008, 06:27 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
yes, the hx has a bit better mpg than other civic models. it would be expensive to replace the cat converter since its one piece with the header. last time i got a price for 800 from the dealer. i think magnaflow sells one for about 500 that is legal. if its a good price, clean, low mileage, and you like it. get it
Yes, the one piece cat converter and exhaust was expensive. I think I paid around 400 bucks.

With O2 sensors, make sure you don't have any CEL that shows a faulty sensor - their expensive for HX models with a manual transmission. You may need to drive around for awhile just in case the seller reset the CEL before you arrived.

These are some of the major differences with HX with other models. Distributor, EGR system (get clogged up), cylinder head, intake, and transmission (different gearing).

I bought my 97 HX brand new, I had the engine rebuilt at 300,000 miles and I still get around 40 plus miles per gallon.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Default Thanks for the heads up

I have looked into the Civic HX some, don't know a lot and so all the advice is helpful. Your right this would be the older Honda to buy. I'm a little on edge about seeing and hofully buying the car. I talked with seller two days ago, know he is out of town,planning to call him and see car tomorrow morning. I let him know I wanted to crank car from cold start, getting pretty chilly here in N.C. now. I will give a follow up on seeing and driving the car.

Another car the Civiv VX is good on gas, maybe came out in the late 80's they are hard to find, but I'm sure the Civic HX is a better car. `

Old 11-22-2008, 09:55 AM
HCF Member

i like the hx better than the vx although they are pretty similar