General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Mileage with 2007 Civic not as advertised

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Default Mileage with 2007 Civic not as advertised

I have a 2007 Civic LX coupe that is about 6 months old and has just under 5000 miles. I have noticed that I am not getting the mileage that was advertised on the sticker and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem. Previously, I had a 2000 Civic EX coupe, bought new and kept for 6 years with a little over 100k miles and it got pretty much the mileage that was advertised on the sticker, so I don't believe it's my driving habits. I might also add that before taking delivery on my current Civic, I drove a brand new one, exactly the same,as my current one,except for color, and though I only put about 500 miles on it before taking delivery on the one I own now, it experienced the same milelage that I'm getting on this one. The best thatI getin the city is about 26-28 mpg and on the highway about 35-37mpg. I fill it up each time, righ to the brim, so that I see fuel starting to pool just short of spilling out the filler tube. What I have noticed is that if I just run a full tank down only a few gallons, the actual mileage figures are even worse. I only actually get the above figures whan I get close to an empty tank. Is anyone else experiencing any problems like this?

Old 03-14-2007, 09:58 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Mileage with 2007 Civic not as advertised

My 06 when it was new was getting about 35 as the best and now with 22,000 miles on it I am getting around 38 on my commute to work and everyday driving.
Last week I was on my way to work and got stuck in really bad traffic. It took me 30 minutes to go 6 miles. I thought when I get gas today my mileage is really going to go down. When I filled up that afternoon, I got 38.6 mpg.
I think your mileage will go up after the engine gets broke in a little.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:06 PM

I think Flyboy is right. I have 10,000km on my 06. I've noticed the mileage has progressively improved.
The ECU needs to learn. I've heard its a good idea to give the car abroad variance in driving styles--slow, fast, med--speedat first.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/car-computer1.htm

Old 03-14-2007, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

Gas milage on the sticker is based on an estament your milage will fary depending on the material your right foot is made of mine is made of lead so my milage is low so in conclusion the weight of your foot is inversly perportinate to the gas milage of your car

Old 03-14-2007, 07:20 PM

thats true. last year when i first got my car, it was near 100 degrees every day and i had the ac on nonstop yet i averaged like 37mpg. i only drive about 18 miles each way to work.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought when I get gas today my mileage is really going to go down. When I filled up that afternoon, I got 38.6 mpg.
Not to sound stoopid, but how do you go about measuring gas mileage?

Old 03-28-2007, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: dscott

I thought when I get gas today my mileage is really going to go down. When I filled up that afternoon, I got 38.6 mpg.
Not to sound stoopid, but how do you go about measuring gas mileage?
Divide total miles drivin on your trip by the gallons of gas you use.
I think Flyboy is right. I have 10,000km on my 06. I've noticed the mileage has progressively improved.
The ECU needs to learn. I've heard its a good idea to give the car abroad variance in driving styles--slow, fast, med--speedat first.
This is true...

Gas milage on the sticker is based on an estament
I thought they were based on the adverage the EPA recived, im sure they didnt just say "its a honda....30/35mpg" they test them in real world environments and vary their driving styles, pull some numbers, take the adverage. Also they used to under state them, but i guess they changed their testing now so that their closer. BTW: 40 city 43-45 highway for me!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:09 PM

I've found the car is sensitive to your driving style. Mine's an automatic, mileage can differ if you have a lead foot, but if you pay attention to the tach, let the computer work, your mileage will improve. When I want her to perform, I keep it in the 3rd gear range (just a click down) and keep the revs up (it's what i-VTEC does).

I've been getting 32+ commuting (but I admit I deal with a less than urban morning drive), and at least close to 40 with extended highway cruises. No complaints. The car has been flawless.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:49 PM
HCF Member

Unless you have a log book with a record of all your gas puchases and odo readings at each and every fill, you can not accurately make statements as to your mileage. If I hand picked from my logbook I could say my mileage was 42MPG. A more accurate statement of my 2006 LX 4Dr sedan 5-sp would be 38MPG highway @70 MPH and 32-36 MPG city with a very light foot and a lot of coasting. In the dead of winter here in northern Illinois it occassionally dips to as low as 28MPG. I try to aim for 400 miles per tank of gas. My Civic now has 10K miles and yes, the mileage has gotten a little better with more miles. When one tanks mileage dropped below what I thought it should be, I checked my tires and found one with low air pressure and a razor blade in it.

Note:The amount of gas shown on thegas station dial is not always the most accurate. It can vary, as can the quality of gas. These things do affect your mileage. I have kept a log book on every vehicle I have owned since 1973.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 PM

yeah good point, if you notice your gas gauge going down faster than normal, you should first check your air in your tires.

Quick Reply: Mileage with 2007 Civic not as advertised