General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Mileage with 2007 Civic not as advertised

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Mileage with 2007 Civic not as advertised

I agree with what everyone's been saying. See how it does once the engine gets broken in a little more, keep an eye on your tire pressure,and keep a light foot. Also, I don't think this will be a huge difference, but it might helpsome if you don't fill up all the way. Fill up only to half a tank and run it to a little less than 1/4 and calculate the milage. On a full tank you've got around 86 lbs of gas (I think gas is 6.52 lbs per gallon and the civic lx 07 has a 13.2 gallon tank) so if you're only at half that's 43 less lbs in the car. Just a thought though... (and I didn't research that gas weight, I saw it in Patrick's Drag racing 101, and somewhere else too but I don't remember, so just to give him credit for that)

Old 04-04-2007, 12:02 AM
HCF Member

BCivic93: Yes, that would help. So would removing the rear seats, taking the spare out of the trunk, getting the junk out of your car, leaving the dog home, and Oh, losing some weight yourself would definately help. Also leave the radio off and always drive with the windows up and the AC off. If you did all of the above maybe the mileage might go up 1MPG. You might try only driving on days you had a tail wind too.

Seriously, by far the best way to save gas is with the usage of your right foot. And not just the gas pedal. Drive as if you had no brakes. Your mileage will jump.

Start a logbook and keeptrack of: the date; ODO reading; miles since last fill; gallons added; MPG; cost of gas added; price of gas added, and always fill your tank to the same spot. With these facts you can tell trends and can accurately state how your mileage is going.

You will notice your mileage fall off during the cold months and rise as the weather warms up. During the hot summer months the AC will make it drop a bit, of course. All this will be apparent to you once you get a log going.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:00 PM
HCF Member

hmmm...
You will notice your mileage fall off during the cold months and rise as the weather warms up. During the hot summer months the AC will make it drop a bit, of course. All this will be apparent to you once you get a log going.
thats when i get about 45 or more...maybey cuz my windows are always up, reduceing areo drag?
Unless you have a log book with a record of all your gas puchases and odo readings at each and every fill, you can not accurately make statements as to your mileage
well i guess since i have never gotten less than 40 mpg except the night i did 125-128 for 2 minutes.....i can give an accurate range. i dont need a log book, i drive a honda, their consistant...lol

Old 04-04-2007, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

yea, i took all mine off to put on ......reverse glow guages....[:'(][>:][X(](too many emotions) and now my speedo is 20mph off, and i have to rely on my trip OD to know how much fuel i have...and for any one that says you cant know how much MPG you get...F-off...i have relyed on multiplyinggallons offuel times 40 for over a year now and have yet to run out of gas....

My guess is that my logbook is a little more accurate. Nice try though...............

Old 04-04-2007, 04:40 PM
HCF Member

All the expected sticker mileages are miscalculated in thier tests,they're changing the tests by 2009 to portray the actual mileage (somewhat)

Old 04-04-2007, 05:14 PM

I am 54 years old. First I would like to say I have NEVER seen the fuel consumption of any vehicle get better after it is broken in. I guess I have owned about 30 new vehicles in my driving life.
My 06 LX sedan is an automatic. It is mostly used for commutes of about 15 miles each way with that being 80% highway at 65 mph and the rest in the city. I baby it and the best mpg for it has been 32. 29.5 to 30 is about normal.
I did manage to take it on a long trip once and it got 40 on the button. I also run Mobil 1 in it year around and that doesnt make any difference in the fuel mileage. It currently has 24,000 miles on it and the mpg is the same now as it was the first tank. I rarely ever use the AC as I live in Alaska and the summer mileage is basically the same as the winter.
I suspect the 5 speed would get about 1.5-2 mpg better if you drove it reasonably.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:31 AM

Just to give you all an idea of what an '07 hybrid is getting, since purchasing it in January, I've averaged 45 mpgs (8,067 miles/180 gallons), with my best tank being 51. I drive 130 miles a day, with lots of hills, and a very light foot.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:17 AM
HCF Member

For comparison: My '06 LX 5-speed in it's first 8,172 miles averaged 35.2 MPG. I used 232.3 gallons doing so. My best tank was 42.2 MPG. The mileage during the winter months here in northern Illinois was in the 32 MPG range. My driving is mostly city with about 25% highway thrown in. I also drive with a light foot except during the brief times I pretend I am Marcos Ambrose.

If gas averaged $2.50 during that time, you saved (52.3 gals x $2.50) $130 in gas. Nice driving crzympg!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:36 PM
HCF Member

i have seen cars get better economy after their broke in...also even after youve reset the ecu....and you guys (Gene J) have verying results due to trim levels of your car...more so the weight difference....also the weight of the driver. i weigh about 125-130, depending on what month lol. to where as when my step dad or mom drove my car they would odviously get less due to them weight at 270 and 170 (ish) lbs. also, cargo makes a difference.
I suspect the 5 speed would get about 1.5-2 mpg better if you drove it reasonably.
you can get more than that from a 5 speed....i have drivin my moms 99lx auto and sometimes it stays in first or second "too long" if your driving slow, to where as in a 5 sp. you can coast, skip gears shift at 2k rpm...etc. it just all depends

Old 04-10-2007, 07:59 PM

yea my lx coupe has been gettin better and better so i know what you mean

Quick Reply: Mileage with 2007 Civic not as advertised